Lifesaver

Although this is not specifically book related, I know that many people on
the list teach, and thought this would be of interest.
http://www.thislife.org/pages/archive98.html  is the link to the "This
American Life" site, where you can listen to the archives on-line. There is
a particular segment that revolves around the impact of art programs on kids
at risk that I just love. (It would be great to pass along to potential
donors to non-profits who provide services to kids at risk) The segment is
called "What are you looking at?", and you have to skip to Act II,
"Lifesaver" on the tape. If you don't have RealAudio, (the program needed to
listen to it), I think you can still download it for free.

There is also a separate audio that Ira Glass put together for the MacArthur
Foundation.

If you're not familiar with TAL, I would highly recommend checking it out. I
organize my sundays so that I can quietly pull paper while I listen to it.

Best wishes,
Roberta