Paper for backing fabric

Thanks to all who responded to my query regarding backing fabric with paper.
Regarding the paper, if one does not want to use Wonder-Under or fusible web,
what are the options? In the past I used some washi that I had but I have now
run out. Is there any paper that is thin and inexpensive, and has good wet
strength? Today, in desperation, I am using wrapping tissue - with not so
great results.
Thanks all,
Suhag