[Table of Contents] [Search]

UNSUBSCRIBE

Automatic digest processor wrote:

> Subject: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 15 Apr 1999 to 16 Apr 1999
> Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 00:01:40 -0400
> From: Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
> To: Recipients of BOOK_ARTS-L digests <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
> There are 14 messages totalling 1725 lines in this issue.
> Topics of the day:
>   1. gilt edges
>   2. Biblio Bulletin
>   3. Pricings???
>   4. brochure w/ quotations
>   5. call for submissions
>   6. returned mail/beebalm and jenmcckary
>   7. A wonderful exhibit
>   8. BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 14 Apr 1999 to 15 Apr 1999
>   9. Paper for backing fabric
>  10. Hello, and unusual request (2)
>  11. <No subject given>
>  12. Library Security Guard Killed in Shooting Was to Retire in June
>  13. Bookbinding supplies
> Subject: Re: gilt edges
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:54:47 -0400
> From: Olivia Hibel <olivia@GHPLUS.INFI.NET>
> Before actually making books, I am repairing some of my own.
> My question is, how would you imagine one could clean gilt edges of a
> book.  Especially the top of the book, as it stood and collected dust
> for years, is just dirty looking.
> Anything one cn do without ruining or rubbing off the gold?
>                     Thanks in advance.   Olivia
> Subject: Biblio Bulletin
> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:42:15 -0700
> From: Derek Lyons <elde@HURRICANE.NET>
> Greetings all!
> Through my store I have recently started publishing a bi weekly web
> based
> http://www.hurricane.net/~fairwater/
>  -----------------------------
> Sponsor, USS Henry L. Stimson homepage
> http://www.hurricane.net/~elde/655.html
>  -----------------------------
>    ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Subject: Re: Pricings???
> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:04:18 +0100
> From: Martyn Ould <mao@THE-OLD-SCHOOL.DEMON.CO.UK>
> Another angle perhaps, on which I would welcome reflections, thoughts,
> facts ...
> Suppose you cut a wood-engraving and print a limited edition from it
> on
> your hand-press and sign each copy, and suppose you can charge 100
> pounds a
> copy, given your 'name' and quality. If someone produces a fine press
> book
> with ten of your engravings in it, printed from the wood, but on a
> machine
> press (rather than your hand press), with one signature on the book,
> they
> might well sell it for ... 100 pounds. It's now a book, not ten
> engravings.
> But hey, the buyer is getting ten of your engravings printed from the
> wood
> but for the price of one.
> Suppose you produce the engravings on separate sheets and print some
> text
> on each - a poem say - and put the whole lot in a box with some
> additional
> text pages, title page, colophon etc. It's getting closer to a
> portfolio
> than a book. Should you charge 1000 pounds? 500 pounds? or just 100
> pounds?
> (Ignore materials and time cost differences.) Are you in the art
> market or
> the book market?
> Write your answer on one side of the paper only ... :)
> Best wishes, Martyn Ould
> The Old School Press
> e-mail  mao@the-old-school.demon.co.uk
> Subject: Re: brochure w/ quotations
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:20:20 -0400
> From: Matthew Jennett <acgrarebooks@HOL.GR>
> Dear Ms. Ashley,
>         Could you send me one of these? I will be happy to reciprocate
> or pay
> shipping charges.
> Anne-Dorothee Boehme wrote:
> >
> > To all the folks that have emailed me today and would like to get a
> > brochure for the "A Book Is Not A Book Is Not A Book" -show please
> call
> > Claire Ashley at the Betty Rymer Gallery (312-332-5859) or email her
> at
> > cashley@artic.edu.
> > She'll be happy to send you one.
> > I have just overspent my postage budget.
> > Doro
> Subject: call for submissions
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:45:26 EDT
> From: Louise Neaderland <Isca4art2B@AOL.COM>
> It's that time again. You are invited to contribute an edition of 100
> xerographic bookworks ( maximum outside dimensions 7x81/2 inches or as
> small
> as you wish), to the 14th Annual ISCA Quarterly box of artists' books.
> Deadline June 15th.  This year we must ask you, as non-members, to
> contribute
> along with your work, $10 plus $3.20 to receive a copy of the issue.
> Please
> let me know if you wish to participate in this project, since there
> are only
> 18 guest slots. If you wish to receive more information about the
> International Society of Copier Artists please visit our
> Homepage,<http://members.aol.com/isca4art2b/I.S.C.A.HomePage.html> or
> send us
> your snail mail address and we will send you  more information about
> the
> Society.
> Louise Neaderland, Director ISCA
>  eaderland, Director
>    ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Subject: returned mail/beebalm and jenmcckary
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:51:34 EDT
> From: Louise Neaderland <Isca4art2B@AOL.COM>
> E-mail to these two posters was returned- please send your snail mail
> addresses' Louise Neaderland
> Subject: A wonderful exhibit
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:02:51 -0400
> From: Miriam Schaer <mschaer@EARTHLINK.NET>
> Dear Friends-
> I just saw Beata Wehr's books on Art Margins and they are really
> wonderful-
> I encourage you to take the time and check them out-as well as the
> site
> itself
> which is very interesting.
> Since I am unlikely to see the work in Arizona, I am happy have seen
> them
> and be able to to get a sense of them on the internet.
> Regards,
> Miriam Schaer
> mschaer@earthlink.net
> www.colophon.com/gallery/mschaer
> Beata wrote:
> >I want to invite everybody to see my exhibition of mixed media books
> at
> >the University of Arizona Museum of Art (until 5th of May 1999)
> >in Tucson or to look at some of them in the "ARTMargins" magazine -
> Artist
> View
> >(A forum for contemporary eastern/central european visual culture)
> >http://www.gss.ucsb.edu/artmargins.
> >Beata Wehr
> Subject: Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 14 Apr 1999 to 15 Apr 1999
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:49:54 -0400
> From: John Fatula <jfatula@TOCKAIA.COM>
> UNSUBSCRIBE
> Automatic digest processor wrote:
>> Subject: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 14 Apr 1999 to 15 Apr 1999
>> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:02:33 -0400
>> From: Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
>> eply-To: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
>> To: Recipients of BOOK_ARTS-L digests <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
>> There are 17 messages totalling 649 lines in this issue.
>> Topics of the day:
>>   1. Pricings??? (2)
>>   2. greetings (2)
>>   3. pricing
>>   4. Quotations?
>>   5. Regarding gold foil (4)
>>   6. regarding gold foil
>>   7. Book Fair Notification
>>   8. brochure w/ quotations (2)
>>   9. Quotations
>>  10. Book Arts Jamboree
>>  11. mixed media books
>>     --------------------------------------------------------------
>> Subject: Re: Pricings???
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:27:30 -0700
>> From: leil lucy alexander <leilx@YAHOO.COM>
>> this made me smile because it is one I have long tried
>> to get some reasonable answer to. I had two teachers
>> who I respected a lot and here is what I got:
>> 1-make sure you are making a reasonable amount of
>> money on each--calculate your time, materials and pay
>> yourself decently. of course, I quickly discovered
>> this makes the books horrifically expensive, as you
>> may too. this teacher, by the way, didn't really
>> produce artist bookworks for sale, but mostly did
>> commissions.
>> 2-my other teacher, who produced artist bookworks all
>> the time, priced them according to how well he liked
>> them. if he liked them a lot, you had to pay more. his
>> editions were never more than 7. one which he liked a
>> lot cost 100 British pounds. but he also took into
>> account the market, of which he was a fairly good
>> judge having sold for years.
>> 3-with my own work, I take into account the materials
>> cost and make sure that I am making back that much at
>> least. my last book was so time consuming that there
>> was no reasonable way of making money on it so I
>> picked a number with the help of some friends that
>> seemed reasonable. I have also been known to have a
>> sliding scale or trade thing for other artists/close
>> friends, but as much as possible I try to stick to the
>> quoted price and in no case would I ever sell to one
>> collecter/library for less than I sold to another. the
>> sliding scale/trade thing is strictly informal/private
>> and for people who can't afford under any
>> circumstances to pay collector price but who express a
>> genuine desire for the book.
>> I too would be interested in hearing about how others
>> price and any other arrangements that they make for
>> distributing their books.
>> --- George <gender@RAINBOW.NET.AU> wrote:
>> > Hi there,
>> > I was wondering what people suggest
>> > by way of pricing the following:
>> > I make handmade, hand bound and handlettered
>> > books.
>> > Every bit of text in my books are handlettered,
>> > and it's all a hand-made job.
>> > I make between three and five copies of each book
>> > I do.
>> > No more.
>> > I will shortly have enough different books
>> > to put "out there" for sale, and was wondering
>> > if anyone had any ideas on pricing??
>> > None of my books are mass-produced or
>> > laser-printed or anything.
>> > All 3-5 copies are original works of art,
>> > often with original small artworks within each book.
>> > ?????
>> >
>> > Any comments/ideas would be appreciated.
>> > George.
>> > __________________________________________________
>> > Never attribute to malice
>> > what can be fear, pain or ignorance.
>> > __________________________________________________
>> ===
>> ***********************************************************
>> leilx@yahoo.com or leilx@iname.com
>> leil lucy alexander
>> Malka, Irbid, Jordan
>> The notion that an artist may call anything he likes ...
>> a "book", because he says so, is the extreme of sloppy
>> _________________________________________________________
>> Do You Yahoo!?
>> Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
>>     --------------------------------------------------------------
>> Subject: Re: Pricings???
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 07:08:43 -0600
>> From: Art_Rubino <Art_Rubino@MSN.COM>
>> Books of this type are really Art/Craft objects.
>> The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in the
>> making.
>> The amount of time you spend making it is, unfortunately,
>> irrelevant.
>> There are binders who can spend 50 extra hours on a book
>> because they do not have the right tools. This can not
>> justify a price.
>> Price is determined by the market acceptance of the item,
>> not by the artisan.
>> For an unknown craftsman or artist, prices will always be
>> low.
>> The items are subjective. You may consider your book
>> to be worth $200. If there are no buyers, the market is
>> telling you something.
>> When you get a name, a track record, you can set your own
>> price.
>> If you have confidence in your work, try to put some out to
>> auction
>> at a Christies or Swann's or Sotheby's rare book & fine
>> bindings sale.
>> Then you will get an idea of the real market value of your
>> work.
>> Art
>> Art Rubino & Co.
>> Antiquarian Book Sellers
>> Numismatic & Philatelic Arts of Santa Fe
>> P.O. Box 9712
>> Santa Fe, NM 87504  USA
>> Phone  505 982 8792
>> Fax      505 982 0291
>> Email  Art_Rubino@msn.com
>> We are always interested in buying fine used
>> Numismatic,  Philatelic & Collectibles books.
>> In the United Kingdom
>> Art Rubino & Co.
>> Antiquarian Booksellers
>> 233 Wandsworth Bridge Road
>> London SW6 2TU
>> Phone  44 171 731 2919
>> Fax       44 171 610 6930
>> Mobile  44 468 301 890
>> Catalogues Available By Email
>> Sent in Win 95/Word 6.0 Format unless you specify.
>> Numismatic Books  Pt I  Ancient, Byz. & Medievel. 80 pp.
>> Numismatic Books Pt II  Modern Era [post 1400] 60 pp.
>> Numismatic Sales Catalogues & Fixed Price Lists
>> Treasure [Numismatic] Books. Cobs, diving for treasure.
>> Philatelic Books
>> Ancient & Modern History, Bank History, Military History
>> Archaeology Books
>> Collectibles Books. Porcelain, antiques, rare artifacts.
>> Modern First Editions & Literature  [under construction]
>> Magic & Divination, Handwriting, Palm Reading, Dreams
>> Conservation Supplies for Collectors
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: leil lucy alexander <leilx@YAHOO.COM>
>> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>> <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
>> Date: Thursday, April 15, 1999 5:33 AM
>> Subject: Re: Pricings???
>> >this made me smile because it is one I have long tried
>> >to get some reasonable answer to. I had two teachers
>> >who I respected a lot and here is what I got:
>> >1-make sure you are making a reasonable amount of
>> >money on each--calculate your time, materials and pay
>> >yourself decently. of course, I quickly discovered
>> >this makes the books horrifically expensive, as you
>> >may too. this teacher, by the way, didn't really
>> >produce artist bookworks for sale, but mostly did
>> >commissions.
>> >2-my other teacher, who produced artist bookworks all
>> >the time, priced them according to how well he liked
>> >them. if he liked them a lot, you had to pay more. his
>> >editions were never more than 7. one which he liked a
>> >lot cost 100 British pounds. but he also took into
>> >account the market, of which he was a fairly good
>> >judge having sold for years.
>> >3-with my own work, I take into account the materials
>> >cost and make sure that I am making back that much at
>> >least. my last book was so time consuming that there
>> >was no reasonable way of making money on it so I
>> >picked a number with the help of some friends that
>> >seemed reasonable. I have also been known to have a
>> >sliding scale or trade thing for other artists/close
>> >friends, but as much as possible I try to stick to the
>> >quoted price and in no case would I ever sell to one
>> >collecter/library for less than I sold to another. the
>> >sliding scale/trade thing is strictly informal/private
>> >and for people who can't afford under any
>> >circumstances to pay collector price but who express a
>> >genuine desire for the book.
>> >
>> >I too would be interested in hearing about how others
>> >price and any other arrangements that they make for
>> >distributing their books.
>> >--- George <gender@RAINBOW.NET.AU> wrote:
>> >> Hi there,
>> >>
>> >> I was wondering what people suggest
>> >> by way of pricing the following:
>> >>
>> >> I make handmade, hand bound and handlettered
>> >> books.
>> >> Every bit of text in my books are handlettered,
>> >> and it's all a hand-made job.
>> >> I make between three and five copies of each book
>> >> I do.
>> >> No more.
>> >>
>> >> I will shortly have enough different books
>> >> to put "out there" for sale, and was wondering
>> >> if anyone had any ideas on pricing??
>> >>
>> >> None of my books are mass-produced or
>> >> laser-printed or anything.
>> >> All 3-5 copies are original works of art,
>> >> often with original small artworks within each book.
>> >> ?????
>> >>
>> >> Any comments/ideas would be appreciated.
>> >> George.
>> >>
>> >> __________________________________________________
>> >> Never attribute to malice
>> >> what can be fear, pain or ignorance.
>> >> __________________________________________________
>> >>
>> >===
>> >***********************************************************
>> >leilx@yahoo.com or leilx@iname.com
>> >leil lucy alexander
>> >Malka, Irbid, Jordan
>> >
>> >The notion that an artist may call anything he likes ...
>> >a "book", because he says so, is the extreme of sloppy
>> >_________________________________________________________
>> >Do You Yahoo!?
>> >Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
>> Subject: greetings
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 08:12:20 PDT
>> From: jen mccleary <jenmccleary@HOTMAIL.COM>
>> Hi everyone...I'm new to this list so I thought I'd introduce
>> myself...My name is Jen McCleary, I'm currently a senior
>> Painting/Printmaking major at Tyler School of Art in
>> Philadelphia...I
>> primarially work in book form, although this really doesn't fit into
>> my classes- there are no bookmaking classes here. So I'm just doing
>> stuff on my own...I'm graduating in May and I'd appreciate any
>> advice
>> anyone could give me about selling/showing bookworks and also any
>> resources (organizations, schools, etc...) which might be helpful to
>> me...Thanks! Jen
>> _______________________________________________________________
>> Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com
>> Subject: Re: pricing
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:22:39 +0000
>> From: sonja larsen <sonjanps@USLINK.NET>
>> Just two reminders:  #1 -- always keep one copy of your work, and
>> try to
>> build its cost into the others which you sell.
>> #2 --If you are very fond/proud of one of your editions, price the
>> books
>> at a price high enough,  that the $$ are worth more to you than the
>> edition.  Sometimes there's a magic price point to customers, and
>> sometimes it works to UP the price rather than take it down.  Just
>> make
>> sure you stay within some boundaries of what all limited editions
>> cost.
>>     --------------------------------------------------------------
>> Subject: Re: Quotations?
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:30:19 -0500
>> From: Anne-Dorothee Boehme <aboehme@ARTIC.EDU>
>> Kimberly,
>> if you send me your mailing address I'll send you the brochure for a
>> show
>> that will open tomorrow, 5 pm at the Betty Rymer Gallery/SAIC in
>> Chicago.
>> (THIS SERVES AT SAME TIME AS AN INVITATION TO EVERYBODY HERE IN THE
>> CHICAGO
>> AREA).
>> We've filled the gallery walls with artists' book-related quotations
>> (and
>> reprinted them in the brochure), not only to have them resemble book
>> pages
>> but mainly to help the visitor get a better sense of all the
>> discussion
>> that has been revolving around this type of artistic production.
>> I can send you about 80 quotations (with bibliographic information)
>> that we
>> selected and that were compiled from all kinds of articles,
>> reference books
>> and catalogs.
>> Best,  Doro
>> At 02:10 PM 4/13/99 -0500, you wrote:
>> >Hi folks,
>> >
>> >Does anyone have a good resource for book-related quotations?
>> >Thanks in advance,
>> >Kimberly
>> >
>> >So MUCH Art...So little Time.
>> ============================================================================
>> ====
>> AnneDorothee Boehme, curator/librarian
>> Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection
>> John M Flaxman Library/School of the Art Institute of Chicago
>> 37 S Wabash Av
>> Chicago, Il 60603
>> 312-899-5098 ( voice )
>> 312-899-1465 ( fax )
>> aboehme@artic.edu
>> http://www.artic.edu/saic/flaxman/flasch.html
>> Subject: Regarding gold foil
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:49:36 +0100
>> From: Brown <03643518060-0001@T-ONLINE.DE>
>> Dear list members,
>> I have recently aquired some new real goldfoil from Schmedt here in
>> Germany. Although it works really well and looks quite nice, it is
>> not
>> responding to well with regards to clean up.
>> The gold foil I am used to is what I had in the states which cleaned
>> up
>> really fine with a pearl eraser and my finger. This new foil only
>> comes
>> "clean" after a lot of work with the eraser. I have also noticed
>> that it
>> starts to scratch the surface before the gold itself clear.
>> Has anyone had similiar problems? What do you use to remove excess
>> foil
>> in such stubborn circumstances? Or just plain any old ideas you have
>> to
>> help. I've only just begun using this foil since my supply from the
>> U.S.
>> wore out.
>> In your debt for being so helpful...
>> and kind regards,
>> Chris
>> Subject: Re: Regarding gold foil
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:25:35 EDT
>> From: "Eric C. Alstrom" <Eric.C.Alstrom@DARTMOUTH.EDU>
>> Something we used to use at the bindery I used to work for was
>> ammonia,
>> specifically, Bo Peep brand (I always loved that name and the
>> Bo Peep and her sheep).
>> This would, as I remember, be used to clean up mistakes or large
>> patches of
>> unwanted gold. I think it loosens the adhesive under the gold, so be
>> careful
>> when you use it and don't remove what you don't want to.
>> Eric
>> *****************************************
>>  Eric Alstrom
>>  Collections Conservator
>>  Dartmouth College
>>  Hanover, NH
>>  603-646-1452
>>  eric.c.alstrom@dartmouth.edu
>>  http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ealstrom
>> *****************************************
>> Subject: Re: regarding gold foil
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:42:18 -0600
>> From: Fishburn - Gerety Household <gerety@VERINET.COM>
>> hey
>> there is a product called "un-du" which is marketed as an "adhesive
>> remover"
>> i have personally used it to remove photographs, artwork on
>> different
>> papers and so forth
>> from whatever they were attached to, with no damaging of said items
>> WHATSOEVER
>> i don't know if it could work on the gold foil. . .
>> the only listed ingredient is heptane
>> the small bottle i have lists the manufacturer as Doumar Products
>> there is a phone #: 1-888-buy-undu
>> sarah fishburn
>> Subject: Re: Regarding gold foil
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 13:25:16 -0600
>> From: KT Pardue <ktp43@PRODIGY.NET>
>> Whenever I have had trouble with stubborn excess gold around
>> stampings and
>> tooling it is because the heat was too high and the dwell-time was
>> too long.
>> I don't know if these apply to you. I just thought I would approach
>> the
>> problem from a preventative side.:)
>> KT Pardue
>> WhiteRiver Studio
>> Subject: Book Fair Notification
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:53:52 -0400
>> From: Clarke Otten <abecinc@BELLSOUTH.NET>
>> The Georgia Antiquarian Book Fair
>> June 18 & 19, 1999
>> Atlanta, Ga. USA
>> For more info visit: georgiabookfair.org
>> Subject: brochure w/ quotations
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:52:45 -0500
>> From: Anne-Dorothee Boehme <aboehme@ARTIC.EDU>
>> To all the folks that have emailed me today and would like to get a
>> brochure for the "A Book Is Not A Book Is Not A Book" -show please
>> call
>> Claire Ashley at the Betty Rymer Gallery (312-332-5859) or email her
>> at
>> cashley@artic.edu.
>> She'll be happy to send you one.
>> I have just overspent my postage budget.
>> Doro
>> ============================================================================
>> ====
>> AnneDorothee Boehme, curator/librarian
>> Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection
>> John M Flaxman Library/School of the Art Institute of Chicago
>> 37 S Wabash Av
>> Chicago, Il 60603
>> 312-899-5098 ( voice )
>> 312-899-1465 ( fax )
>> aboehme@artic.edu
>> http://www.artic.edu/saic/flaxman/flasch.html
>> Subject: Re: brochure w/ quotations
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:15:50 -0400
>> From: "Peter D. Verheyen" <pdverhey@DREAMSCAPE.COM>
>> On that subject, it just occured to me that you might also find some
>> interesting things which were said/written during out hugh "artist's
>> book"
>> debate last Spring. It's compiled into one big file (not too big
>> really) at
>> the top of the links section of the Book Arts Web. URL in message
>> header
>> above and my sig file below.
>> p.
>>                                 >>> I loved working in the library.
>> <<<
>> >>There was something to be said for working in a place bound in
>> leather.<<
>> Peter D. Verheyen
>> <Email>
>> mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
>> <Webmaster: Book Arts Web>
>> http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
>> <Listowner: Book_Arts-L>
>> Mailto:Book_Arts-L-request@listserv.syr.edu
>> Subject: Quotations
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:54:29 -0400
>> From: Loud Creek Books & Bindery <loudcreek@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
>> Those interested might also try to find:
>> GRAFFAGNINO, J. Kevin. Only in Books. Writers, Readers, &
>> Bibliophiles on
>> Their Passion
>> and
>> A book in the hand is worth two in the Library (I can not remember
>> the
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:58:25 EDT
>> From: DT Fletcher <FletcherOR@AOL.COM>
>> In a message dated 4/15/99 12:27:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>> ktp43@PRODIGY.NET writes:
>> << Whenever I have had trouble with stubborn excess gold around
>> stampings and
>>  tooling it is because the heat was too high and the dwell-time was
>> too long.
>> >>
>> I have gold stamped many hundreds of books at this point and I am
>> just
>> finally getting a real feel for it. Over time, have found that what
>> usually
>> works best is to use a temperature near the top range of the foil
>> capability
>> and to finesse the stamping, ie, hit it hard and short.  Note: this
>> is for
>> Unibind covers and Kwikprint BK gold tape.
>> The other really key thing is to have the stamp absolutely parallel
>> with the
>> item to be stamped.  It can be a real bear sometimes to line
>> everything up,
>> but it's the only way to get an even sharp stamping.
>> dt fletcher
>> Subject: Book Arts Jamboree
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:09:09 -0400
>> From: Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord <sgaylord@SEACOAST.COM>
>> Dear Friends
>>     I'm not sure if Ed Hutchins has made any postings about the Book
>> Arts Jamboree which he is putting on in the Catskills in Ny this
>> summer,
>> but as I will be teaching there, I thought I'd put in a plug. There
>> will
>> be three separate one week sessions:
>> Bookmaking Adventures in the Classroom, July 18-23- I'll be doing
>> Making
>> Books From Around the Word and Across the Curriculum. Other
>> instructors
>> will be Joan Irvine on pop-ups, Gloria Zmolek on hand papermaking,
>> and
>> Dennis Stovall on publishing. It's set up so that you spend an equal
>> amount of time with each of us
>> Exploring Structure and Content, July 25-30- Susan Share, Emily
>> Martin,
>> Katherine Ng, and Berwyn Hung
>> Making Better Books, August 1-6- Carol Barton, Marylee Bytheriver,
>> Gordon Fluke, and Melissa Potter
>>     If anyone has any questions about my portion of week 1, I'd be
>> happy
>> to answer. If you have questions about the Jamboree, contact
>> jamboree@artistsbook.com. The programs are all exciting, the cost
>> very
>> reasonable for what you get, and there are still spaces.
>> in good spirit,
>> Susan
>> Subject: Re: greetings
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:41:10 +0000
>> From: Douglas Harris <beebalm@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
>> The University of the Arts in Philly offers classes in bookbinding
>> both
>> for full time students and as continuing ed classes. I just finished
>> a
>> continuing "Intro" course which was great for the basics and a
>> little
>> beyond.
>> Subject: mixed media books
>> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:52:44 -0700
>> From: Beata E Wehr <beata@U.ARIZONA.EDU>
>> I want to invite everybody to see my exhibition of mixed media books
>> at
>> the University of Arizona Museum of Art (until 5th of May 1999)
>> in Tucson
>>  or to look
>> at some of them in the "ARTMargins" magazine - Artist View
>> (A forum for contemporary eastern/central european visual culture)
>> http://www.gss.ucsb.edu/artmargins.
>> Beata Wehr
> Subject: Paper for backing fabric
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:20:29 EDT
> From: Suhag Shirodkar <Suhags@AOL.COM>
> Thanks to all who responded to my query regarding backing fabric with
> paper.
> Regarding the paper, if one does not want to use Wonder-Under or
> fusible web,
> what are the options? In the past I used some washi that I had but I
> have now
> run out. Is there any paper that is thin and inexpensive, and has good
> wet
> strength? Today, in desperation, I am using wrapping tissue - with not
> so
> great results.
> Thanks all,
> Suhag
> Subject: Hello, and unusual request
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:40:45 -0500
> From: Holtzman <PJandD@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
> Hello all,
> I've been lurking for a few week's, afraid to de-lurk for fear of
> sounding
> too stupid.  I am amazed at the store of knowledge within this list.
> It's a
> little intimidating.  Yes, the brain tells me, "they all started at
> some
> point in their lives...they weren't born with a bookbinder's awl in
> their
> mouths", but I still wimp out, and never post.
> However..........
> I now feel an urgency to ask for assistance.  Assistance of a strange
> sort.
> I realize that alot of you work very hard to restore books, and repair
> books.  I want to ruin one.  I have made a few coptic and hardbound
> books
> (for my own pleasure in the doing).  I now want to make some books
> using a
> leather cover and make the leather look as though it had been well
> loved for
> 100's of years.  What leather should I use?  How thick of book board
> should
> I adhere it to?  With what should I adhere it? (No leather experience
> here),
> and the biggest question of all.......how do I make it look worn?
> Thanks for your time in reading this post, and if you can keep from
> laughing
> and shaking your heads, thanks in advance for any insights you can
> share.
> PJ
> Subject: Re: Hello, and unusual request
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:32:25 -0600
> From: KT Pardue <ktp43@PRODIGY.NET>
> This is a huge subject as you probably know. Hopefully, answers from
> many on
> this list will help you in the overall project because the subject is
> too
> complex for a few postings.
> I'll just offer a few suggestions which someone else might elaborate
> on.
>  Use repair calf or a second or third-grade leather from a reputable
> leather
> dealer such as Hewitt, Bookmakers, and Talas.  Sometimes just applying
> a
> dressing to these leathers cause the imperfections of the leather to
> show
> through nicely, like it has been used a lot.The List archives will be
> able
> to provide you with the phone numbers and addresses for these dealers.
> If
> the book you are making has shoulder joints (from rounding and
> backing) then
> the board should be as thick as the depth of the shoulder. This is not
> a
> hard-and-fast-rule. In bookbinding, very little is hard-and-fast these
> days.
> The best adhesive to use, only in my opinion as I am a bookbinder of
> the old
> craft-binding days, is wheat paste. The leather models around the
> board just
> like clay, if you use wheat paste.
> I hope this gives you some ideas.
> Karen T. Pardue
> WhiteRiver Studio
> Subject: <No subject given>
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:07:36 -0400
> From: "Audrey P. Hollinger" <audreyh@THINKAGE.ON.CA>
> Hello Bookbinders;
> I am located in Canada, and my company currently sells papermaking and
> marbling supplies via mail order.  However, I would like to start a
> small
> line of bookbinding supplies to go along with this.
> What are your favourite bookbinding tools?  What supplies do you buy
> most?
>  Which standard supplies are hardest to find?
> If you have anything to say to a potential seller of bookbinding
> supplies
> and equipment, here's your chance!
> Please respond to my address instead of the list.
> audreyh@thinkage.on.ca
> Audrey Hollinger
> the Papertrail
> Awesome Aud
> "I gave my books their own room,
> and now they want the whole house!"
> Subject: Library Security Guard Killed in Shooting Was to Retire in June
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:35:18 +0000
> From: Museum Security Network <securma@XS4ALL.NL>
> From:             hollis_provins@nps.gov
> To:               TonCremers@museum-security.org
> Subject:          Salt Lake Tribune Article
> Send reply to:    hollis_provins@nps.gov
> Date sent:        Friday, April 16, 1999
> Ton,
> I'm sure I speak for everyone, in that our hearts & prayers are with
> Mr. Thomas' friends and family.
> Salt Lake Tribune Article:
> Library Security Guard Killed in Shooting Was to Retire in June
> http://www.sltrib.com/1999/Apr/04161999/nation_w/98450.htm
> From: Hollis G. Provins
> Library Security Guard Killed in Shooting Was to Retire in June
> Donald Thomas had worked for church security for 28 years. Californian
> also killed, Utah mother and daughter wounded
> (Ran Galbraith/ The Salt Lake Tribune)  BY KELLY KENNEDY THE
> SALT LAKE TRIBUNE
> It was like any other day for the man neighbors called "Daddy Don"
> when Donald Thomas took his security post at the LDS Church's Family
> History Library. But only a few hours into his shift, about 11 a.m.
> on Thursday, Thomas was pronounced dead at LDS Hospital of a gunshot
> wound to the chest, killed by a gunman who had calmly walked into the
> Salt Lake City building and randomly began firing. Thomas had worked
> for church security for the past 28 years and was to retire in June.
> The 62-year-old Thomas leaves behind his wife, Konadee, who uses a
> wheelchair because of multiple sclerosis, four children and 12
> grandchildren. The couple lived in West Jordan with their daughter,
> son-in-law and three grandchildren. "Their dad is a hero," said
> Jeffrey Hill, the family's LDS bishop. "He spent his whole life
> protecting his family, and that's the way he died -- protecting
> people." The Thomas family was not alone in its grief. Patricia Irene
> Frengs of Pleasant Hills, Calif., was also fatally shot Thursday.
> Police said the 55-year-old woman's husband, Jack, identified her.
> Two Laketown, Utah, women -- a mother and daughter -- were wounded.
> On Thursday, the mother, Theda Weston, 71, was at the library with her
> daughter Chris Webb, 45. Weston was shot near her left eye. The
> bullet circled around the side of her face and lodged in the back of
> her head, causing severe sinus damage, said University Hospital
> spokesman John Dwan. She was in serious condition, but was alert and
> talking with doctors. "Theda is very sweet," said Pamela Rhees
> Weston, her next-door neighbor in the small northern Utah town. "She
> likes to knit and quilt, and she really likes genealogy. I was just
> thinking, though, her house burned down last winter, and she was
> telling me how horrible it was to lose all of her photos -- and now
> this." Webb, 45, was shot through the shoulder, and the bullet
> entered her lung. She was in fair condition at Salt Lake Regional
> Hospital. Weston, a great-grandmother, raised five children on the
> family's ranch before passing it along to one of her sons. Webb has
> three children. Said Kae Weston, a distant relative: "It's a small
> town. We know everyone here -- so everyone is pulling for them."
> Weston's grandson Josh Weston, 16, was called out of school in the
> early afternoon and told of the shooting. "We just cried all the way
> home," said Char Weston, Josh's cousin. "I just love being around
> her," Josh Weston said of his grandmother. "I've already gotten calls
> from a bunch of people offering to help out." Another victim, Nellie
> Neighton, 80, had been serving a Mormon temple mission since March
> 1998. Neighton, originally from Oakland, Calif., was shot in the
> cheek and was in fair condition late Thursday. "She's a very nice
> lady," said Neighton's Salt Lake City neighbor, Leroy Sommer. "Her
> daughter Judy does our taxes back in California and asked us to look
> for her, so we were just delighted to find her right next door." "We
> are saddened by the terrible tragedy which occurred at our Family
> History Library this morning, in which three people were killed,
> including an employee of the church," said a statement from the LDS
> Church's governing First Presidency, composed of church President
> Gordon B. Hinckley and his counselors, Presidents Thomas S. Monson
> and James E. Faust.
> --------------------------------------------
> Museum Security Network
> http://museum-security.org/
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~securma/
> Send a 'set digest' message to:
> TonCremers@museum-security.org if you prefer receiving
> MSN messages as a weekly digest.
> mailinglist archive: http://museum-security.org/archive.html
> ---------------------------------------------------
> Subject: Re: Bookbinding supplies
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:49:24 -0500
> From: Wayne and Mary <whaegele@ITOL.COM>
> Heck
> Reply to the list if you can. I for one would love this information
> too!
> On 16 Apr 99,, the dancing digits of Audrey P. Hollinger delivered:
> > Hello Bookbinders;
> > I am located in Canada, and my company currently sells papermaking
> and
> > marbling supplies via mail order.  However, I would like to start a
> small
> > line of bookbinding supplies to go along with this.
> > What are your favourite bookbinding tools?  What supplies do you buy
> most?
> >  Which standard supplies are hardest to find?
> >
> > If you have anything to say to a potential seller of bookbinding
> supplies
> > and equipment, here's your chance!
> >
> > Please respond to my address instead of the list.
> > audreyh@thinkage.on.ca
> > Audrey Hollinger
> > the Papertrail
> > Awesome Aud
> > "I gave my books their own room,
> > and now they want the whole house!"

--------------CC533525102797FD891FE6EE
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
<b><font size=+4>UNSUBSCRIBE</font></b>
<p>Automatic digest processor wrote:
<blockquote TYPE=CITE><nobr><b>Subject: </b>BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 15 Apr
1999 to 16 Apr 1999</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Sat, 17 Apr 1999 00:01:40 -0400</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Automatic digest processor &lt;LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU></nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Reply-To: </b>"Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at <A HREF="http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey">http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey</A>"
&lt;BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU></nobr>
<br><nobr><b>To: </b>Recipients of BOOK_ARTS-L digests &lt;BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU></nobr>
<pre WRAP>There are 14 messages totalling 1725 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

&nbsp; 1. gilt edges
&nbsp; 2. Biblio Bulletin
&nbsp; 3. Pricings???
&nbsp; 4. brochure w/ quotations
&nbsp; 5. call for submissions
&nbsp; 6. returned mail/beebalm and jenmcckary
&nbsp; 7. A wonderful exhibit
&nbsp; 8. BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 14 Apr 1999 to 15 Apr 1999
&nbsp; 9. Paper for backing fabric
&nbsp;10. Hello, and unusual request (2)
&nbsp;11. &lt;No subject given>
&nbsp;12. Library Security Guard Killed in Shooting Was to Retire in June
&nbsp;13. Bookbinding supplies</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: gilt edges</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:54:47 -0400</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Olivia Hibel &lt;olivia@GHPLUS.INFI.NET></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Before actually making books, I am repairing some of my own.

My question is, how would you imagine one could clean gilt edges of a
book.&nbsp; Especially the top of the book, as it stood and collected dust
for years, is just dirty looking.

Anything one cn do without ruining or rubbing off the gold?

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks in advance.&nbsp;&nbsp; Olivia</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Biblio Bulletin</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:42:15 -0700</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Derek Lyons &lt;elde@HURRICANE.NET></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Greetings all!

Through my store I have recently started publishing a bi weekly web based
bulletin of things books.&nbsp; (OK, so recently that Issue #1 was just posted. :)

Please take a look.

<a href="http://www.hurricane.net/~fairwater/bibliobull.html">http://www.hurricane.net/~fairwater/bibliobull.html

</a>Thanks!

Derek L.

&nbsp;-----------------------------
Proprietor, Interim Books
Used &amp; Rare Books of all sorts
<a href="http://www.hurricane.net/~fairwater/">http://www.hurricane.net/~fairwater/
</a>&nbsp;-----------------------------
Sponsor, USS Henry L. Stimson homepage
<a href="http://www.hurricane.net/~elde/655.html">http://www.hurricane.net/~elde/655.html
</a>&nbsp;-----------------------------</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: Pricings???</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:04:18 +0100</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Martyn Ould &lt;mao@THE-OLD-SCHOOL.DEMON.CO.UK></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Another angle perhaps, on which I would welcome reflections, thoughts,
facts ...

Suppose you cut a wood-engraving and print a limited edition from it on
your hand-press and sign each copy, and suppose you can charge 100 pounds a
copy, given your 'name' and quality. If someone produces a fine press book
with ten of your engravings in it, printed from the wood, but on a machine
press (rather than your hand press), with one signature on the book, they
might well sell it for ... 100 pounds. It's now a book, not ten engravings.
But hey, the buyer is getting ten of your engravings printed from the wood
but for the price of one.

Suppose you produce the engravings on separate sheets and print some text
on each - a poem say - and put the whole lot in a box with some additional
text pages, title page, colophon etc. It's getting closer to a portfolio
than a book. Should you charge 1000 pounds? 500 pounds? or just 100 pounds?
(Ignore materials and time cost differences.) Are you in the art market or
the book market?

Write your answer on one side of the paper only ... :)

Best wishes, Martyn Ould

The Old School Press
e-mail&nbsp; mao@the-old-school.demon.co.uk

</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: brochure w/ quotations</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:20:20 -0400</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Matthew Jennett &lt;acgrarebooks@HOL.GR></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Dear Ms. Ashley,
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Could you send me one of these? I will be happy to reciprocate or pay
shipping charges.

Anne-Dorothee Boehme wrote:
> To all the folks that have emailed me today and would like to get a
> brochure for the "A Book Is Not A Book Is Not A Book" -show please call
> Claire Ashley at the Betty Rymer Gallery (312-332-5859) or email her at
> cashley@artic.edu.
> She'll be happy to send you one.
> I have just overspent my postage budget.
> Doro

****************************************</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>call for submissions</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:45:26 EDT</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Louise Neaderland &lt;Isca4art2B@AOL.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>It's that time again. You are invited to contribute an edition of 100
xerographic bookworks ( maximum outside dimensions 7x81/2 inches or as small
as you wish), to the 14th Annual ISCA Quarterly box of artists' books.
Deadline June 15th.&nbsp; This year we must ask you, as non-members, to contribute
along with your work, $10 plus $3.20 to receive a copy of the issue. Please
let me know if you wish to participate in this project, since there are only
18 guest slots. If you wish to receive more information about the
International Society of Copier Artists please visit our
Homepage,&lt;<a href="http://members.aol.com/isca4art2b/I.S.C.A.HomePage.html">http://members.aol.com/isca4art2b/I.S.C.A.HomePage.html</a>> or send us
your snail mail address and we will send you&nbsp; more information about the
Society.
Louise Neaderland, Director ISCA

&nbsp;eaderland, Director</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>returned mail/beebalm and jenmcckary</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:51:34 EDT</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Louise Neaderland &lt;Isca4art2B@AOL.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>E-mail to these two posters was returned- please send your snail mail
addresses' Louise Neaderland</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>A wonderful exhibit</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:02:51 -0400</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Miriam Schaer &lt;mschaer@EARTHLINK.NET></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Dear Friends-
I just saw Beata Wehr's books on Art Margins and they are really
wonderful-
I encourage you to take the time and check them out-as well as the site
itself
which is very interesting.

Since I am unlikely to see the work in Arizona, I am happy have seen them
and be able to to get a sense of them on the internet.

Regards,

Miriam Schaer
mschaer@earthlink.net
www.colophon.com/gallery/mschaer

Beata wrote:
>I want to invite everybody to see my exhibition of mixed media books at
>the University of Arizona Museum of Art (until 5th of May 1999)
>in Tucson or to look at some of them in the "ARTMargins" magazine - Artist
View
>(A forum for contemporary eastern/central european visual culture)
><a href="http://www.gss.ucsb.edu/artmargins">http://www.gss.ucsb.edu/artmargins</a>.

>Beata Wehr</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 14 Apr 1999 to 15 Apr
1999</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:49:54 -0400</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>John Fatula &lt;jfatula@TOCKAIA.COM></nobr>
<p>UNSUBSCRIBE
<p>Automatic digest processor wrote:
<blockquote TYPE=CITE><nobr><b>Subject: </b>BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 14 Apr
1999 to 15 Apr 1999</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:02:33 -0400</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Reply-To: </b>"Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at <a href="http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey">http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey</a>"
&lt;BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU></nobr>
<pre WRAP>There are 17 messages totalling 649 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

&nbsp; 1. Pricings??? (2)
&nbsp; 2. greetings (2)
&nbsp; 3. pricing
&nbsp; 4. Quotations?
&nbsp; 5. Regarding gold foil (4)
&nbsp; 6. regarding gold foil
&nbsp; 7. Book Fair Notification
&nbsp; 8. brochure w/ quotations (2)
&nbsp; 9. Quotations
&nbsp;10. Book Arts Jamboree
&nbsp;11. mixed media books</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: Pricings???</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:27:30 -0700</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>leil lucy alexander &lt;leilx@YAHOO.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>this made me smile because it is one I have long tried
to get some reasonable answer to. I had two teachers
who I respected a lot and here is what I got:
1-make sure you are making a reasonable amount of
money on each--calculate your time, materials and pay
yourself decently. of course, I quickly discovered
this makes the books horrifically expensive, as you
may too. this teacher, by the way, didn't really
produce artist bookworks for sale, but mostly did
commissions.
2-my other teacher, who produced artist bookworks all
the time, priced them according to how well he liked
them. if he liked them a lot, you had to pay more. his
editions were never more than 7. one which he liked a
lot cost 100 British pounds. but he also took into
account the market, of which he was a fairly good
judge having sold for years.
3-with my own work, I take into account the materials
cost and make sure that I am making back that much at
least. my last book was so time consuming that there
was no reasonable way of making money on it so I
picked a number with the help of some friends that
seemed reasonable. I have also been known to have a
sliding scale or trade thing for other artists/close
friends, but as much as possible I try to stick to the
quoted price and in no case would I ever sell to one
collecter/library for less than I sold to another. the
sliding scale/trade thing is strictly informal/private
and for people who can't afford under any
circumstances to pay collector price but who express a
genuine desire for the book.

I too would be interested in hearing about how others
price and any other arrangements that they make for
distributing their books.

--- George &lt;gender@RAINBOW.NET.AU> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I was wondering what people suggest
> by way of pricing the following:
> I make handmade, hand bound and handlettered
> books.
> Every bit of text in my books are handlettered,
> and it's all a hand-made job.
> I make between three and five copies of each book
> I do.
> No more.
> I will shortly have enough different books
> to put "out there" for sale, and was wondering
> if anyone had any ideas on pricing??
> None of my books are mass-produced or
> laser-printed or anything.
> All 3-5 copies are original works of art,
> often with original small artworks within each book.
> ?????
> Any comments/ideas would be appreciated.
> George.
> __________________________________________________
> Never attribute to malice
> what can be fear, pain or ignorance.
> __________________________________________________

===
***********************************************************
leilx@yahoo.com or leilx@iname.com
leil lucy alexander
Malka, Irbid, Jordan

The notion that an artist may call anything he likes ...
a "book", because he says so, is the extreme of sloppy
_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at <a href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com</a></pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: Pricings???</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 07:08:43 -0600</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Art_Rubino &lt;Art_Rubino@MSN.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Books of this type are really Art/Craft objects.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in the
making.
The amount of time you spend making it is, unfortunately,
irrelevant.
There are binders who can spend 50 extra hours on a book
because they do not have the right tools. This can not
justify a price.
Price is determined by the market acceptance of the item,
not by the artisan.
For an unknown craftsman or artist, prices will always be
low.
The items are subjective. You may consider your book
to be worth $200. If there are no buyers, the market is
telling you something.
When you get a name, a track record, you can set your own
price.

If you have confidence in your work, try to put some out to
auction
at a Christies or Swann's or Sotheby's rare book &amp; fine
bindings sale.
Then you will get an idea of the real market value of your
work.
Art

Art Rubino &amp; Co.
Antiquarian Book Sellers
Numismatic &amp; Philatelic Arts of Santa Fe
P.O. Box 9712
Santa Fe, NM 87504&nbsp; USA
Phone&nbsp; 505 982 8792
Fax&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 505 982 0291
Email&nbsp; Art_Rubino@msn.com

We are always interested in buying fine used
Numismatic,&nbsp; Philatelic &amp; Collectibles books.

In the United Kingdom
Art Rubino &amp; Co.
Antiquarian Booksellers
233 Wandsworth Bridge Road
London SW6 2TU
Phone&nbsp; 44 171 731 2919
Fax&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 44 171 610 6930
Mobile&nbsp; 44 468 301 890

Catalogues Available By Email
Sent in Win 95/Word 6.0 Format unless you specify.
Numismatic Books&nbsp; Pt I&nbsp; Ancient, Byz. &amp; Medievel. 80 pp.
Numismatic Books Pt II&nbsp; Modern Era [post 1400] 60 pp.
Numismatic Sales Catalogues &amp; Fixed Price Lists
Treasure [Numismatic] Books. Cobs, diving for treasure.
Philatelic Books
Ancient &amp; Modern History, Bank History, Military History
Archaeology Books
Collectibles Books. Porcelain, antiques, rare artifacts.
Modern First Editions &amp; Literature&nbsp; [under construction]
Magic &amp; Divination, Handwriting, Palm Reading, Dreams
Conservation Supplies for Collectors

-----Original Message-----
From: leil lucy alexander &lt;leilx@YAHOO.COM>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
&lt;BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Date: Thursday, April 15, 1999 5:33 AM
Subject: Re: Pricings???

>this made me smile because it is one I have long tried
>to get some reasonable answer to. I had two teachers
>who I respected a lot and here is what I got:
>1-make sure you are making a reasonable amount of
>money on each--calculate your time, materials and pay
>yourself decently. of course, I quickly discovered
>this makes the books horrifically expensive, as you
>may too. this teacher, by the way, didn't really
>produce artist bookworks for sale, but mostly did
>commissions.
>2-my other teacher, who produced artist bookworks all
>the time, priced them according to how well he liked
>them. if he liked them a lot, you had to pay more. his
>editions were never more than 7. one which he liked a
>lot cost 100 British pounds. but he also took into
>account the market, of which he was a fairly good
>judge having sold for years.
>3-with my own work, I take into account the materials
>cost and make sure that I am making back that much at
>least. my last book was so time consuming that there
>was no reasonable way of making money on it so I
>picked a number with the help of some friends that
>seemed reasonable. I have also been known to have a
>sliding scale or trade thing for other artists/close
>friends, but as much as possible I try to stick to the
>quoted price and in no case would I ever sell to one
>collecter/library for less than I sold to another. the
>sliding scale/trade thing is strictly informal/private
>and for people who can't afford under any
>circumstances to pay collector price but who express a
>genuine desire for the book.
>I too would be interested in hearing about how others
>price and any other arrangements that they make for
>distributing their books.
>--- George &lt;gender@RAINBOW.NET.AU> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> I was wondering what people suggest
>> by way of pricing the following:
>> I make handmade, hand bound and handlettered
>> books.
>> Every bit of text in my books are handlettered,
>> and it's all a hand-made job.
>> I make between three and five copies of each book
>> I do.
>> No more.
>> I will shortly have enough different books
>> to put "out there" for sale, and was wondering
>> if anyone had any ideas on pricing??
>> None of my books are mass-produced or
>> laser-printed or anything.
>> All 3-5 copies are original works of art,
>> often with original small artworks within each book.
>> ?????
>> Any comments/ideas would be appreciated.
>> George.
>> __________________________________________________
>> Never attribute to malice
>> what can be fear, pain or ignorance.
>> __________________________________________________
>===
>***********************************************************
>leilx@yahoo.com or leilx@iname.com
>leil lucy alexander
>Malka, Irbid, Jordan
>The notion that an artist may call anything he likes ...
>a "book", because he says so, is the extreme of sloppy
>_________________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
>Get your free @yahoo.com address at <a href="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com
</a>></pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>greetings</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 08:12:20 PDT</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>jen mccleary &lt;jenmccleary@HOTMAIL.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Hi everyone...I'm new to this list so I thought I'd introduce
myself...My name is Jen McCleary, I'm currently a senior
Painting/Printmaking major at Tyler School of Art in Philadelphia...I
primarially work in book form, although this really doesn't fit into
my classes- there are no bookmaking classes here. So I'm just doing
stuff on my own...I'm graduating in May and I'd appreciate any advice
anyone could give me about selling/showing bookworks and also any
resources (organizations, schools, etc...) which might be helpful to
me...Thanks! Jen

_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit <a href="http://www.msn.com">http://www.msn.com</a></pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: pricing</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:22:39 +0000</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>sonja larsen &lt;sonjanps@USLINK.NET></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Just two reminders:&nbsp; #1 -- always keep one copy of your work, and try to
build its cost into the others which you sell.

#2 --If you are very fond/proud of one of your editions, price the books
at a price high enough,&nbsp; that the $$ are worth more to you than the
edition.&nbsp; Sometimes there's a magic price point to customers, and
sometimes it works to UP the price rather than take it down.&nbsp; Just make
sure you stay within some boundaries of what all limited editions cost.</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: Quotations?</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:30:19 -0500</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Anne-Dorothee Boehme &lt;aboehme@ARTIC.EDU></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Kimberly,
if you send me your mailing address I'll send you the brochure for a show
that will open tomorrow, 5 pm at the Betty Rymer Gallery/SAIC in Chicago.

(THIS SERVES AT SAME TIME AS AN INVITATION TO EVERYBODY HERE IN THE CHICAGO
AREA).

We've filled the gallery walls with artists' book-related quotations (and
reprinted them in the brochure), not only to have them resemble book pages
but mainly to help the visitor get a better sense of all the discussion
that has been revolving around this type of artistic production.
I can send you about 80 quotations (with bibliographic information) that we
selected and that were compiled from all kinds of articles, reference books
and catalogs.

Best,&nbsp; Doro

At 02:10 PM 4/13/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>Does anyone have a good resource for book-related quotations?
>Thanks in advance,
>Kimberly
>So MUCH Art...So little Time.
============================================================================
====

AnneDorothee Boehme, curator/librarian
Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection
John M Flaxman Library/School of the Art Institute of Chicago
37 S Wabash Av
Chicago, Il 60603

312-899-5098 ( voice )
312-899-1465 ( fax )
aboehme@artic.edu
<a href="http://www.artic.edu/saic/flaxman/flasch.html">http://www.artic.edu/saic/flaxman/flasch.html</a></pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Regarding gold foil</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:49:36 +0100</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Brown &lt;03643518060-0001@T-ONLINE.DE></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Dear list members,

I have recently aquired some new real goldfoil from Schmedt here in
Germany. Although it works really well and looks quite nice, it is not
responding to well with regards to clean up.

The gold foil I am used to is what I had in the states which cleaned up
really fine with a pearl eraser and my finger. This new foil only comes
"clean" after a lot of work with the eraser. I have also noticed that it
starts to scratch the surface before the gold itself clear.

Has anyone had similiar problems? What do you use to remove excess foil
in such stubborn circumstances? Or just plain any old ideas you have to
help. I've only just begun using this foil since my supply from the U.S.
wore out.

In your debt for being so helpful...
and kind regards,
Chris</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: Regarding gold foil</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:25:35 EDT</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>"Eric C. Alstrom" &lt;Eric.C.Alstrom@DARTMOUTH.EDU></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Something we used to use at the bindery I used to work for was ammonia,
specifically, Bo Peep brand (I always loved that name and the picture of Little
Bo Peep and her sheep).

This would, as I remember, be used to clean up mistakes or large patches of
unwanted gold. I think it loosens the adhesive under the gold, so be careful
when you use it and don't remove what you don't want to.

Eric

*****************************************
&nbsp;Eric Alstrom
&nbsp;Collections Conservator
&nbsp;Dartmouth College
&nbsp;Hanover, NH

&nbsp;603-646-1452
&nbsp;eric.c.alstrom@dartmouth.edu
&nbsp;<a href="http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ealstrom">http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ealstrom
</a>*****************************************</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: regarding gold foil</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:42:18 -0600</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Fishburn - Gerety Household &lt;gerety@VERINET.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>hey
there is a product called "un-du" which is marketed as an "adhesive remover"
i have personally used it to remove photographs, artwork on different
papers and so forth
from whatever they were attached to, with no damaging of said items WHATSOEVER
i don't know if it could work on the gold foil. . .
the only listed ingredient is heptane
the small bottle i have lists the manufacturer as Doumar Products
there is a phone #: 1-888-buy-undu
sarah fishburn</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: Regarding gold foil</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 13:25:16 -0600</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>KT Pardue &lt;ktp43@PRODIGY.NET></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Whenever I have had trouble with stubborn excess gold around stampings and
tooling it is because the heat was too high and the dwell-time was too long.
I don't know if these apply to you. I just thought I would approach the
problem from a preventative side.:)

KT Pardue
WhiteRiver Studio</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Book Fair Notification</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:53:52 -0400</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Clarke Otten &lt;abecinc@BELLSOUTH.NET></nobr>
<p><font color="#990000"><font size=+2>The Georgia Antiquarian Book Fair</font></font>
<br>June 18 &amp; 19, 1999
<br>Atlanta, Ga. USA
<p>For more info visit: <a href="georgiabookfair.org">georgiabookfair.org</a>
<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>brochure w/ quotations</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:52:45 -0500</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Anne-Dorothee Boehme &lt;aboehme@ARTIC.EDU></nobr>
<pre WRAP>To all the folks that have emailed me today and would like to get a
brochure for the "A Book Is Not A Book Is Not A Book" -show please call
Claire Ashley at the Betty Rymer Gallery (312-332-5859) or email her at
cashley@artic.edu.
She'll be happy to send you one.
I have just overspent my postage budget.

Doro

============================================================================
====

AnneDorothee Boehme, curator/librarian
Joan Flasch Artists' Book Collection
John M Flaxman Library/School of the Art Institute of Chicago
37 S Wabash Av
Chicago, Il 60603

312-899-5098 ( voice )
312-899-1465 ( fax )
aboehme@artic.edu

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: brochure w/ quotations</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:15:50 -0400</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>"Peter D. Verheyen" &lt;pdverhey@DREAMSCAPE.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>On that subject, it just occured to me that you might also find some
interesting things which were said/written during out hugh "artist's book"
debate last Spring. It's compiled into one big file (not too big really) at
the top of the links section of the Book Arts Web. URL in message header
above and my sig file below.

p.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; >>> I loved working in the library. &lt;&lt;&lt;
>>There was something to be said for working in a place bound in leather.&lt;&lt;

Peter D. Verheyen
&lt;Email>
<a href="mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com">mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
</a>&lt;Webmaster: Book Arts Web>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey">http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey
</a>&lt;Listowner: Book_Arts-L>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="Mailto:Book_Arts-L-request@listserv.syr.edu">Mailto:Book_Arts-L-request@listserv.syr.edu</a></pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Quotations</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:54:29 -0400</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Loud Creek Books &amp; Bindery &lt;loudcreek@WORLDNET.ATT.NET></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Those interested might also try to find:

GRAFFAGNINO, J. Kevin. Only in Books. Writers, Readers, &amp; Bibliophiles on
Their Passion

and

A book in the hand is worth two in the Library (I can not remember the
editor of this book)

Best day

Mark Hammersmith
Loud Creek Books &amp; Bindery
P.O. Box 405
Ballentine, SC&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 29002
803.749.7893
loudcreek@worldnet.att.net</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: Regarding gold foil</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:58:25 EDT</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>DT Fletcher &lt;FletcherOR@AOL.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>In a message dated 4/15/99 12:27:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ktp43@PRODIGY.NET writes:

&lt;&lt; Whenever I have had trouble with stubborn excess gold around stampings and
&nbsp;tooling it is because the heat was too high and the dwell-time was too long.

I have gold stamped many hundreds of books at this point and I am just
finally getting a real feel for it. Over time, have found that what usually
works best is to use a temperature near the top range of the foil capability
and to finesse the stamping, ie, hit it hard and short.&nbsp; Note: this is for
Unibind covers and Kwikprint BK gold tape.

The other really key thing is to have the stamp absolutely parallel with the
item to be stamped.&nbsp; It can be a real bear sometimes to line everything up,
but it's the only way to get an even sharp stamping.
dt fletcher</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Book Arts Jamboree</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:09:09 -0400</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord &lt;sgaylord@SEACOAST.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Dear Friends
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm not sure if Ed Hutchins has made any postings about the Book
Arts Jamboree which he is putting on in the Catskills in Ny this summer,
but as I will be teaching there, I thought I'd put in a plug. There will
be three separate one week sessions:

Bookmaking Adventures in the Classroom, July 18-23- I'll be doing Making
Books From Around the Word and Across the Curriculum. Other instructors
will be Joan Irvine on pop-ups, Gloria Zmolek on hand papermaking, and
Dennis Stovall on publishing. It's set up so that you spend an equal
amount of time with each of us

Exploring Structure and Content, July 25-30- Susan Share, Emily Martin,
Katherine Ng, and Berwyn Hung

Making Better Books, August 1-6- Carol Barton, Marylee Bytheriver,
Gordon Fluke, and Melissa Potter

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If anyone has any questions about my portion of week 1, I'd be happy
to answer. If you have questions about the Jamboree, contact
jamboree@artistsbook.com. The programs are all exciting, the cost very
reasonable for what you get, and there are still spaces.

in good spirit,
Susan</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: greetings</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:41:10 +0000</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Douglas Harris &lt;beebalm@BELLATLANTIC.NET></nobr>
<pre WRAP>The University of the Arts in Philly offers classes in bookbinding both
for full time students and as continuing ed classes. I just finished a
continuing "Intro" course which was great for the basics and a little
beyond.</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>mixed media books</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:52:44 -0700</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Beata E Wehr &lt;beata@U.ARIZONA.EDU></nobr>
<pre WRAP>I want to invite everybody to see my exhibition of mixed media books at
the University of Arizona Museum of Art (until 5th of May 1999)
in Tucson
&nbsp;or to look
at some of them in the "ARTMargins" magazine - Artist View
(A forum for contemporary eastern/central european visual culture)

Beata Wehr</pre>
</blockquote>

<p><b><nobr>Subject: </nobr></b><nobr>Paper for backing fabric</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:20:29 EDT</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Suhag Shirodkar &lt;Suhags@AOL.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Thanks to all who responded to my query regarding backing fabric with paper.
Regarding the paper, if one does not want to use Wonder-Under or fusible web,
what are the options? In the past I used some washi that I had but I have now
run out. Is there any paper that is thin and inexpensive, and has good wet
strength? Today, in desperation, I am using wrapping tissue - with not so
great results.
Thanks all,
Suhag</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Hello, and unusual request</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:40:45 -0500</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Holtzman &lt;PJandD@EMAIL.MSN.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Hello all,

I've been lurking for a few week's, afraid to de-lurk for fear of sounding
too stupid.&nbsp; I am amazed at the store of knowledge within this list.&nbsp; It's a
little intimidating.&nbsp; Yes, the brain tells me, "they all started at some
point in their lives...they weren't born with a bookbinder's awl in their
mouths", but I still wimp out, and never post.

However..........

I now feel an urgency to ask for assistance.&nbsp; Assistance of a strange sort.
I realize that alot of you work very hard to restore books, and repair
books.&nbsp; I want to ruin one.&nbsp; I have made a few coptic and hardbound books
(for my own pleasure in the doing).&nbsp; I now want to make some books using a
leather cover and make the leather look as though it had been well loved for
100's of years.&nbsp; What leather should I use?&nbsp; How thick of book board should
I adhere it to?&nbsp; With what should I adhere it? (No leather experience here),
and the biggest question of all.......how do I make it look worn?

Thanks for your time in reading this post, and if you can keep from laughing
and shaking your heads, thanks in advance for any insights you can share.

PJ</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: Hello, and unusual request</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:32:25 -0600</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>KT Pardue &lt;ktp43@PRODIGY.NET></nobr>
<pre WRAP>This is a huge subject as you probably know. Hopefully, answers from many on
this list will help you in the overall project because the subject is too
complex for a few postings.
I'll just offer a few suggestions which someone else might elaborate on.

&nbsp;Use repair calf or a second or third-grade leather from a reputable leather
dealer such as Hewitt, Bookmakers, and Talas.&nbsp; Sometimes just applying a
dressing to these leathers cause the imperfections of the leather to show
through nicely, like it has been used a lot.The List archives will be able
to provide you with the phone numbers and addresses for these dealers. If
the book you are making has shoulder joints (from rounding and backing) then
the board should be as thick as the depth of the shoulder. This is not a
hard-and-fast-rule. In bookbinding, very little is hard-and-fast these days.
The best adhesive to use, only in my opinion as I am a bookbinder of the old
craft-binding days, is wheat paste. The leather models around the board just
like clay, if you use wheat paste.

I hope this gives you some ideas.
Karen T. Pardue
WhiteRiver Studio</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>&lt;No subject given></nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:07:36 -0400</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>"Audrey P. Hollinger" &lt;audreyh@THINKAGE.ON.CA></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Hello Bookbinders;

I am located in Canada, and my company currently sells papermaking and
marbling supplies via mail order.&nbsp; However, I would like to start a small
line of bookbinding supplies to go along with this.

What are your favourite bookbinding tools?&nbsp; What supplies do you buy most?
&nbsp;Which standard supplies are hardest to find?

If you have anything to say to a potential seller of bookbinding supplies
and equipment, here's your chance!

Please respond to my address instead of the list.
audreyh@thinkage.on.ca

Audrey Hollinger
the Papertrail

Awesome Aud

"I gave my books their own room,
and now they want the whole house!"</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Library Security Guard Killed in Shooting Was
to Retire in June</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:35:18 +0000</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Museum Security Network &lt;securma@XS4ALL.NL></nobr>
<pre WRAP>From:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; hollis_provins@nps.gov
To:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; TonCremers@museum-security.org
Subject:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Salt Lake Tribune Article
Send reply to:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; hollis_provins@nps.gov
Date sent:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Friday, April 16, 1999

Ton,

I'm sure I speak for everyone, in that our hearts &amp; prayers are with
Mr. Thomas' friends and family.

Salt Lake Tribune Article:
Library Security Guard Killed in Shooting Was to Retire in June
<a href="http://www.sltrib.com/1999/Apr/04161999/nation_w/98450.htm">http://www.sltrib.com/1999/Apr/04161999/nation_w/98450.htm

</a>From: Hollis G. Provins

Library Security Guard Killed in Shooting Was to Retire in June
Donald Thomas had worked for church security for 28 years. Californian
also killed, Utah mother and daughter wounded

(Ran Galbraith/ The Salt Lake Tribune)&nbsp; BY KELLY KENNEDY THE
SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

It was like any other day for the man neighbors called "Daddy Don"
when Donald Thomas took his security post at the LDS Church's Family
History Library. But only a few hours into his shift, about 11 a.m.
on Thursday, Thomas was pronounced dead at LDS Hospital of a gunshot
wound to the chest, killed by a gunman who had calmly walked into the
Salt Lake City building and randomly began firing. Thomas had worked
for church security for the past 28 years and was to retire in June.
The 62-year-old Thomas leaves behind his wife, Konadee, who uses a
wheelchair because of multiple sclerosis, four children and 12
grandchildren. The couple lived in West Jordan with their daughter,
son-in-law and three grandchildren. "Their dad is a hero," said
Jeffrey Hill, the family's LDS bishop. "He spent his whole life
protecting his family, and that's the way he died -- protecting
people." The Thomas family was not alone in its grief. Patricia Irene
Frengs of Pleasant Hills, Calif., was also fatally shot Thursday.
Police said the 55-year-old woman's husband, Jack, identified her.
Two Laketown, Utah, women -- a mother and daughter -- were wounded.
On Thursday, the mother, Theda Weston, 71, was at the library with her
daughter Chris Webb, 45. Weston was shot near her left eye. The
bullet circled around the side of her face and lodged in the back of
her head, causing severe sinus damage, said University Hospital
spokesman John Dwan. She was in serious condition, but was alert and
talking with doctors. "Theda is very sweet," said Pamela Rhees
Weston, her next-door neighbor in the small northern Utah town. "She
likes to knit and quilt, and she really likes genealogy. I was just
thinking, though, her house burned down last winter, and she was
telling me how horrible it was to lose all of her photos -- and now
this." Webb, 45, was shot through the shoulder, and the bullet
entered her lung. She was in fair condition at Salt Lake Regional
Hospital. Weston, a great-grandmother, raised five children on the
family's ranch before passing it along to one of her sons. Webb has
three children. Said Kae Weston, a distant relative: "It's a small
town. We know everyone here -- so everyone is pulling for them."
Weston's grandson Josh Weston, 16, was called out of school in the
early afternoon and told of the shooting. "We just cried all the way
home," said Char Weston, Josh's cousin. "I just love being around
her," Josh Weston said of his grandmother. "I've already gotten calls
from a bunch of people offering to help out." Another victim, Nellie
Neighton, 80, had been serving a Mormon temple mission since March
1998. Neighton, originally from Oakland, Calif., was shot in the
cheek and was in fair condition late Thursday. "She's a very nice
lady," said Neighton's Salt Lake City neighbor, Leroy Sommer. "Her
daughter Judy does our taxes back in California and asked us to look
for her, so we were just delighted to find her right next door." "We
are saddened by the terrible tragedy which occurred at our Family
History Library this morning, in which three people were killed,
including an employee of the church," said a statement from the LDS
Church's governing First Presidency, composed of church President
Gordon B. Hinckley and his counselors, Presidents Thomas S. Monson
and James E. Faust.

--------------------------------------------
Museum Security Network
<a href="http://museum-security.org/">http://museum-security.org/
</a><a href="http://www.xs4all.nl/~securma/">http://www.xs4all.nl/~securma/
</a>Send a 'set digest' message to:
TonCremers@museum-security.org if you prefer receiving
MSN messages as a weekly digest.
mailinglist archive: <a href="http://museum-security.org/archive.html">http://museum-security.org/archive.html
</a>---------------------------------------------------</pre>

<p><nobr><b>Subject: </b>Re: Bookbinding supplies</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>Date: </b>Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:49:24 -0500</nobr>
<br><nobr><b>From: </b>Wayne and Mary &lt;whaegele@ITOL.COM></nobr>
<pre WRAP>Heck

Reply to the list if you can. I for one would love this information
too!

On 16 Apr 99,, the dancing digits of Audrey P. Hollinger delivered:

> Hello Bookbinders;
> I am located in Canada, and my company currently sells papermaking and
> marbling supplies via mail order.&nbsp; However, I would like to start a small
> line of bookbinding supplies to go along with this.
> What are your favourite bookbinding tools?&nbsp; What supplies do you buy most?
>&nbsp; Which standard supplies are hardest to find?
> If you have anything to say to a potential seller of bookbinding supplies
> and equipment, here's your chance!
> Please respond to my address instead of the list.
> audreyh@thinkage.on.ca
> Audrey Hollinger
> the Papertrail
> Awesome Aud
> "I gave my books their own room,
> and now they want the whole house!"
></pre>