Re: Davey Board

>Does anyone know what Davey Board is and where to buy it??
>
>All the information I have follows. Got this request from a friend.
>
>>Davey board is used in bookbinding.....it is the hard cover book
>>material.......
>>Davey board has metal flakes in it...instead of basic chipboard which
>>doesn't...this makes the board much stronger and resist flaring out on the
>>corners and spine as books get taken in and out often...
>>thanks for any info you might have.
>>this board used to be available through Laboiteaux....
>
>Martin R. Carbone / 1227 De La Vina St. / Santa Barbara, CA 93101
>TEL: 805-965-5574 / FAX: 805-965-2414 / EMAIL: mrcinc@silcom.com
>WEBSITES: http://www.papershops.com <<<and>>> http://www.modelshops.com
><<<and>>> http://www.silcom.com/~mrcinc

Davey Board is a brand name of binders board, like Klenex(sp?) facial tissue.

As, to where to buy it I would agree that LBS is probably the best source
for small quantities.  You might also try a local paper company.  If they
are large enough they may stock it.  Anchor Paper in St. Paul, Minnesota
does this.

As for the metal flakes I would have to ask where this information came
from.  I've been using Davey Board every day for at least ten years that I
can recall.  In all that time I've used the same board sheer (Jacques and
Son 44") and have never had to change or sharpen the blade.  I have also
never seen or felt metal flakes in either the trimmed board or offcuts.

The sample book for Davey Board has a little page and a half discription of
the making of Binders Board and they make no mention of metal flakes.
"Binders Board is a high-quality paper fiber board manufactured to full
thickness in one operation and is not a chip, news, or pasted board."
"Binders Board is made on a wet machine.  A screened cylinder revolves in a
vat of stock, picking up a web of pulp approximately .005" thick.  The web
is transfered onto a continuous moving felt[sic] or blanket and is carried
to the press rolls, where it is transfered to the upper press roll.  The
cylinder continues to pick up stock and transfer it to the press roll until
a homogeneous sheet of the desired thickness is formed.  A finished sheet
of Binders Board may run from .058" to .300" in thickness.
     "The wet sheet is then discharged from the press roll and moved into a
hydraulic press where up to 6,000 tons of pressure may be applied.  This
process removes the greater part of the water, compresses the board to half
its original thickness, and mats the fibers more closely.  It constitutes
the second important manufacturing difference between this board and lesser
grades of board.  The exceptional density of Binders Board is due in large
part to the use of this extreme pressure while the sheet is stil wet."

They go on to talk about the drying process and the finish of the surface.

One last thing.  There is a new board (well new to us) on the market that
we also use.  It's called Eska board.  While it is less dense than Davey
Board it does have its own advantages.  Like larger sheet size, better
consistancy in surface finish and color, and let's not forget cost.  I
don't have and hard info on Eska Board tonight but I should be able to get
my hands on some by tomorrow if ya'll want to know any more about Eska
Board.

Happiness bought and paid for
is happiness none the less.

Duncan