Nacogdoches book arts

To Jenn, et al.

It's 2000.3 miles from my front door in San Francisco to Charlie's in
Nacogdoches (according to Yahoo!).

Charlie has done a tremendous job in getting a fledgling book arts program
started at Stephen F. Austin State Univ. there in Nac. He and some of the
other faculty members have already sponsored 2 book arts symposia, attracting
a diverse range of book people from all over North America. The work that he
and the students have done there is quite good and shows great promise. I
strongly encourage list members to visit or attend one of the future symposia
--in addition to the usual lectures and exhibits, there are a lot of informal
get-togethers with lots of music, drink, good food, and good company.

I would also encourage people to contact Charlie to see what the students
could use in the way of equipment, supplies, books, etc., or you might be
able to donate time and expertise by giving a workshop.

Finally, in the interest of full disclosure, I should confess that I'm not an
unbiased observer. I consider Nac my hometown, although I was born and raised
about 20 miles west. I'm an alumnus of SFA and worked at both the public and
university libraries, and it's where I started printing 20 years ago with a
lot of help from Charlie and a bunch of other friends who are still there.
It's a beautiful part of Texas--just don't everybody move there all at once.

Asa Peavy, Program Manager
Book Arts and Special Collections Center
San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin St.
San Francisco, CA 94102
415.557.4560