Re: Paper for backing fabric

This was a reply off-list, but I thought that others might appreciate the
information. Betty.

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 07:51:38 -0700
>To: Suhags@aol.com
>From: Betty Storz <storz@mcn.org>
>Subject: Re: Paper for backing fabric
>
>At 05:20 PM 4/16/99 EDT, you wrote:
>>Thanks to all who responded to my query regarding backing fabric with paper.
>>Regarding the paper, if one does not want to use Wonder-Under or fusible
web,
>>what are the options? In the past I used some washi that I had but I have
now
>>run out. Is there any paper that is thin and inexpensive, and has good wet
>>strength? Today, in desperation, I am using wrapping tissue - with not so
>>great results.
>>Thanks all,
>>Suhag
>
>I wanted to respond to your post immediately, but have been busy with
other projects. The most inexpensive backing paper I have found is
available from OAS (Oriental Art Supply). Their Practice Roll (P3) is 18" x
600" for $7.00, making it about $.25 for a piece 18" x 36". It has good wet
strength and can be torn any length you need. I have used two rolls of it
so far and have recommended it to several friends. It is not acid free, but
it doesn't matter if you are gluing it to an acid-free, buffered surface.
An alternative is the thin interleaving paper available from University
Products, Gaylord, etc. that you have to buy in such large quantities that
it becomes too expensive for the individual bookbinder.

>The address of OAS:
>
>       OAS
>       P.O. Box 6596
>       Huntington Beach, CA 92615
>
>or use your Visa or MasterCard to charge by phone. Call 1-800-969-4471,
M-F, 8-5, Pacific Time.

>The catalog number for the practice roll is P3. There is no minimum order,
but it makes sense to order a couple rolls to save on shipping. A year ago,
or so, they had a sale on the paper, 5 rolls for $30, but I didn't take
advantage of the sale. I'm sorry, now.

>I was also interested in Jim Dunleavy's post of 4/20, telling how to paste
both sides of fabric and not using any backing paper at all. It would be
necessary to use a densely woven fabric, preferably linen or cotton. You
would end up with what is called by bookcloth manufacturers,
"starch-filled." Such bookcloth can't be cleaned with water, but it's what
most binderies use.

Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org