Re: WOID BULLETIN: Review

Dear Paul, I sympathize.  Many years ago, when I was living in New Mexico, I
received word that one of my canvas and wood wall constructions was to be
included in a group show at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.  I
was of course thrilled.  Near the end of the show I was able to get to New
York only to find that the work had been hung upside down and was not in
good condition.  My feeling is that it is very difficult for most artists to
get their work shown.  When it finally is shown, it's often the end of a
long process and life-commitment.  Most artists do take their work
seriously. Why else would we sacrifice for it, build our lives around it?
Therefore whether another likes the work or not, it deserves the greatest
respect.  Although curators are very key and very important, their job is to
support and illumine the vision of the artist-not to pit their artistic
vision against that of the artist.  So I think-don't feel in the least
apologetic for caring about having your work hung right side up.  You
deserve it.-Barbara Valenta