Last Night for Faux Post @ S.F. Center for the Book

FAUX POST: artists' postage stamps from the collection of John Held, Jr.

CLOSING RECEPTION & TALK
Friday, May 7, from 6 to 8 pm
at the SAN FRANCISCO CENTER for the BOOK
300 de Haro @ 16th Street

www.sfcb.org
regular gallery hours are noon-5, monday-friday

We've had a wonderful exhibition this last month that has followed directly
upon the illustrious heels of our popular winter graphic design & printing
object show: "R.S.V.P. Invitations for All Reasons." This gorgeous and
evocative show has work ranging from the spare and elegant to truly over
the top, with a great deal of handwork and visual sophistication in
preparing the images for stamps, with production that uses many printing
and binding techniques.

During the last three decades or so, the international art world focused
upon the mail process as a possible canvas. This exhibition - drawn from
one of the largest collections in the world - features the work of over
fifty historical and contemporary figures from over twenty countries, with
subjects from Elvis to Hiroshima.

If you can't join us for the closing reception, please consider a visit
during the week, or visit our web site for a few faux postal images.