Re: Teaching Workshops

 Hello All

I have just read the message from Mitchell Adams requesting any tips on
teaching workshops.  I teach a number of bookbinding workshops and hope that
the following info: is helpful.  I keep the numbers at a one day six hour
workshop to between six and eight people, especially with beginners as this
makes it possible to give enough individual attention to enable every one to
go home with a completed hard bound artist sketch book (11 x 8 inches).  I
also find it very helpful to have each step of the book made up separately
as a visual aid, ("This is one I made earlier"). It helps to illustrate the
spoken word! As for pricing which I find is one of the most difficult things
to do, I charge a flat fee for the day which includes the materials for the
one book, though they can buy more materials to take home or choose from my
range of completed sketch books. I also make books to individual
specifications and have a couple of outlets selling the completed items.
Just to give a little more info: about me - I teach workshops in the U.K. in
and around Oxford. I graduate this summer completing my B.A.Hons degree in
Fine Art(printmaking)

Heather Power