Re: gloss paper

> Wausau glossy paper in your Epson
>  Stylus printer. Did you use it at its highest resolution, 1440 or 720 dpi?
>  How did the image/color quality compare to Epson's own Photo-Quality Glossy
>  Paper?

Pat,

I use 720 dpi, and place the paper setting on "Special Coated Paper". The
only problem I had was a slight waffling from ink saturation that corrected
itself when dry. I air-dried the prints flat, allowing ample time for drying.

I urge you to make tests on every stock you are considering using. Even the
weather makes a difference. I keep all experiments in three-ring binders--I
have them for samples of printed papers, as well as computer graphic
techniques. Kelly's Paper makes this simple by offering free samples of each
paper they stock.

If I am worried about fading, I place samples of printed pages in windows
facing north and south so they can be compared to the sample put directly
into the notebook. I found unacceptable fading in the south windows, some
fading--also unacceptable--in the north windows, each over a two-month
period. Work kept in books fare acceptably better. I know the inkjet inks
will improve as demand prompts it. There was a major discussion of inkjet
inks on this list, about a year ago. One brand color printer already has
permanent ink; you'll find the whole discussion in the archives.

For my purposes, I found Epson's Photo-Quality Glossy paper too expensive
with no appreciable difference in appearance. (I did not do a window-fading
test.) That was two years ago. Perhaps the product has changed and merits
further consideration on my part.

I'll put in a plug for Kinko's here. On a different project, I gave them the
photos in page layout form on disk. I designed two pages up. This was also an
edition of forty-five, so I ordered 23 copies. Each copy was $3, yielding two
booklets, at $1.50 apiece. It was an eight-panel accordion-fold postcard
booklet with color photos, graded backgrounds, black text and computer
generated "postmarks". Kinko's printed the file onto their glossy cardstock,
and the prints are dazzlingly clear with beautiful, flawless color. My
understanding is that the photocopier color inks (toners) are more stable.

It's all an ongoing challenge, isn't it? Each project has it's particular set
of requirements, problems to solve, and challenges to meet. Good luck with
your project.

Mary