large format printer

----Original Message-----
From: Jessica Spring <SpringTJS@AOL.COM>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Date: Monday, May 03, 1999 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: Inkjet permanence

>In a message dated 5/3/99 12:54:53 PM, jsiegel@ACNET.NET writes:
>
><< I am going to get a new printer that handles large format paper. My
current
>printer only prints about 90% of a legal page.  >>
>
>What are you planning to buy? I'm looking for a tabloid printer myself and
>have wondered about an Epson.
>jessica

To Jessaica,

Am just beginning to research archival inks (thanks to Linda Hagen) so am
not qualified to comment on that specific subject, but can share years of
experience with ink-jet printing and printers.

Have tried HP and others, and can say without hesitation that Epson's Stylus
Color series of printers is the best in terms of color quality and print
resolution. If you are considering a large-format printer, I recommend the
Epson Stylus Color 1520, which uses up to 11x17 sheets, or roll-feed paper
of any length (the roll-feeder is an optional extra). The Epson ink jet
printers (at least among their higher-priced models) are fast, too. Check
the reviews in the computer mags for relative speeds.

The paper used is critical for quality results. Forget "plain paper" for
anything but drafts and ordinary B&W text (which is actually quite good at
360 dpi on plain paper, and extremely fast). For good art prints, we
typically use Epson Photo Quality Paper, at about $14.00 per pack of 100
sheets (8.5 x 11). For even higher photo-quality, we use Epson Photo-quality
Glossy Paper, at about $0.67 per sheet, in packages of 20 sheets. [Their
glossy film is even finer (about $1.15 per sheet), but we're not yet
satisfied that it is stable over time]. We're working with Epson on that
matter right now. On that size, you can print about 7.75" x 9.75" without
losing any to cropping by the printer machine. In other words, adjust your
image size to max 7.75" x 9.75" or so in your application before you print.
Always use "photo" as your setting, if that's available on your own printer.
Each printer-operating system willl have a unique driver, or software
program, to set up and print to your physical printer device.

We have been using the original Epson Stylus Color printer for nearly 4
years, and -- while it's slow by modern standards, the print qualtiy has
always been outstanding. We are just now beginning to use the larger model
1520, and it's much faster, has the same or better print quality, and
handles "tabloid" size paper. Currently priced at $478. to $499.95 on the
street.

Ignoring the issue of archival inks for the moment (and I don't think you
should do so, for permanent prints), I would highly recommend the Epson 1520
for large format printing. Of course, if you can afford the Epson 3000
(about $1500., I think), you'd get five colors of ink, high speed, large
format, Adobe PostScript printing, and "professional" durability. We've
never had any trouble with our machine.

I'll look forward to more info on archival inks.

Art Miller, Architect
millerja@ismi.net