Book making, etc in India

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a month or so and enjoying the list immensely. Now
I have a question.

I am going to be travelling in India for 6 weeks in the fall and want to
look into book binding, paper making, etc. in northern India. I will be
doing an independent study on the craft there. My husband remembers sitting
and watching the local village book binder when he was a child, so I figure
there may still be some out there. I have several prayer books I am in the
process of repairing as well.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of where I might start in
contacting book crafts people in UP, HP or Punjab? I have travelled in
India before and my husband grew up there so we know the area. It would be
wonderful to make some contacts before going though.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Simrat

Simrat Kaur Khalsa
simrat@gladstone.uoregon.edu