Re: Oriental Art Supply paper

I recommended using OAS's practice roll, Suhag, and I can't understand why
you are having difficulty. I use the method of backing fabric with paper
described in JAPANESE BOOKBINDING by Kojiro Ikegami and never have a problem.

In this method, the paste is spread on the paper on a smooth surface (I use
the formica top of my desk) without waste paper underneath, and then
transferred to the backside of the dampened, smoothed out cloth. I use
wheat paste made from unbleached flour and water, the consistency of
mayonnaise. I cannot describe the whole operation in this letter, but, if
you do not have access to Ikegami's book, I will send you a copy of the
directions if you will let me know your snail mail address.

Betty

Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org