Re: photocopying photos

Hello everyone,

I'd like to take the time to introduce myself.  I teach photo, graphic design and book arts at a small college in South Dakota.
I've been subscribing to this listserv for awhile now. I've never written before because everytime I've had a question,
someone else beat me to the list with it.

But, as an artist and a teacher, I worry about the following comment by Mr Nebel:

"Don't go to a Kinko's  --  go to an independent local business where you can
get a qualified person who cares and support your local economy  --  Kinko's
have poorly maintained equipment, poorly trained, low paid employees and put
nothing back into the local community...

I understand and support his rationale behind supporting local businesses. But sometimes blindly following his advise may
deprive an artist of important and otherwise unavailable resources.

While I was a graduate student at the University of Minnesota, whenever we wanted to try a new, untested special effect or
wanted to run an unusual piece of paper through a copy machine, we went to a Kinko's in St. Paul. On the overnight shift, a
grad student in the design school at the U of M would be willing to test out anything.  At no other place in the Twin Cities were
we allowed to do this. Because of his willingness to test out the process and his manager's approval to do so, many of my
students and colleagues were able to discover many new effects on the photocopier.

Maybe if you are lucky enough to have an owner/operator that is willing to risk his/her machines with these experiments
you can completely avoid a "chain" store, but here in Sioux Falls the pickings are pretty slim.

John Tonai