Re: Teaching Workshops

Claudia,

A half-day session is pretty short to accomplish teaching basic book
repair, but it can be done with thorough planning. I taught a full-day
session two years ago and learned a few things that might help you to have
a successful experience. I limited the subject matter to the archival
repair of torn wrinkled, dog-eared pages, broken hinges, stains, etc., how
to avoid damage in the first place, and a couple enclosures that would
protect a book from further damage. I had a full day and still felt rushed.

One of the problems is that the students will be at all levels of
expertise; some may have bound books themselves; others may never have used
a bone folder, exacto or mat knife, or don't know the properties of paper
or adhesives. To many, the extent of their knowledge of book repair is
slapping on some scotch tape, Elmer's glue or rubber cement. Some may even
expect to be able to rebind a book after taking a 1/2-deay class.
Therefore, some time will have to be spent on materials and techniques. It
helps to have packets holding the materials to be used ready beforehand.

It's not a good idea to have students bring their own books to repair in
class because, invariably, some will bring books that need work that will
not be covered in a class on simple repairs.

Let me tell you the most successful part of my workshop: I went to a local
thrift shop, explained why I wanted a dozen books, all the same size and
condition, and the proprietor let me have them for nothing. Then I went
through the books making the same tears, wrinkles, dog-ears (one torn off),
stains, pierced holes, etc. on the same pages in each book, keeping a
record for myself. I also broke the front hinge in each book and tore out
one page and stuck it back in. In class, I passed out the books and asked
the students to look through their copies and mark any pages where they
found damage, without telling them page numbers. Then we went through the
books, discussing the damage and making the repairs, using methods
described by Hedi Kyle in her LIBRARY MATERIALS PRESERVATION MANUAL. (Of
course, I had passed out wheat paste and the materials they would need
beforehand.)

The students kept the repaired books as a reminder of the techniques they
had learned.

I do hope this helps and you have a rewarding experience with your workshop
this summer. Let me know how it turns out.

Betty

Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org