Scanning

I don't know if this list is the appropriate place for this question,
but I don't know who else to ask.
I have a flat bed scanner, and when I scan an image (to develop into a
plate for printing or to send via e-mail) it comes out HUGE. I blew my
brother's computer out of the sky by sending him a standard snapshot
without checking it.
The only way I have been able to send images is by resizing them
drastically, which I find very tedious. I can't find any reference to
controling the size of the initial scan, either in the hopelessly
inadequate manual, the help files, or the web.
Any ideas?
Best regards,
Yehuda Miklaf
Shalom Yehuda Press