WOID in re Exhibit at Columbia U.

I saw this exhibit a few weeks ago (I happened to be doing some research
in the collections). I decided not to review or mention it in WOID because
it's basically off-limits unless you have ID from Columbia or are doing
research in Butler Library. Plus, Columbia has a pretty bad rep for their
security practices (stopping people of color, restricting access
beyond reason, etc.).

Otherwise, an interesting show. My fave was the strip of paper on which
Joyce laid out the levels of symbolic meaning in the various chapters of
Ulysses, including color symbolism.

On Sun, 9 May 1999, Barbara Valenta wrote:

> I ran across this announcement on the Columbia University (NYC) Web site and
> am sending it on although I haven't seen it- in case anyone else is
> interested. You should probably telephone them first to confirm if you're
> going up there.  Barbara Valenta
>
> "Infinite Riches in a Little Room: The Collections of the Rare Book and
>                     Manuscript Library (RBML)." Drawn from the library's
> rich bibliographic and historical resources, this exhibit will be on view in
> a rotating display through Oct. 29, 1999, at the Kempner Exhibition Room of
> the RBML, 6th Floor, Butler Library. Less a traditional "treasures" show
> than a kaleidoscopic view of the kind of primary resources a leading
> research library offers to the global community, the exhibit contains the
> curators' choice of books, manuscripts, maps and archival materials that
> illustrate the themes and formats represented in the collections. Each
> display case is dedicated to items in one of the 20 collections in the
> library. The  Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts case focuses on the
> philosopher Boethius, author of one of the most popular texts of the middle
> ages, The Consolation of Philosophy, which was written while Boethius was
> imprisoned, just before he was tortured and put to death.      Other cases
> feature artists' books;      materials surrounding the publication of James
> Joyce's Ulysses and Finnegans Wake. A case on early writing surfaces
> displays a Babylonian document relating to the adoption of a female slave
> written in cuneiform four thousand years ago and a letter on papyrus written
> to a Greek businessman in 257 B.C. The exhibit may be viewed Monday
> Noon-7:45 p.m. and Tuesday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.-4:45 p.m.

Paul Werner, New York City

http://pages.nyu.edu/~ptw1
     DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "Vellum Preparation:
History and Technique," and "Dragonsblood and Ashes: the Beta
Version."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.