Re: REQUEST: Self-published best-sellers?

>I am preparing a feature on self-published books

"The Read Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease and "Taming the C.A.N.D.Y.
Monster" by I forget who are two self-pubs that went on to massive sales
and commercial success. (The former was picked up by Viking/Penguin on the
advice of a astute kiddie lit prof at NYU. As I recall, the latter just
kept selling and selling out of the author's trailer in Minnesota or
somesuch.)

The poetry world abounds in similar stories. Seems to me that Ezra Pound
and Robert Frost (to pick two) self-published early collections.

                John