Re: REQUEST: Self-published best-sellers?

In a message dated 5/19/99 10:18:07 AM, jbennett@LAKELAND.CC.IL.US wrote:

<<The Read Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease and "Taming the C.A.N.D.Y.
Monster" by I forget who are two self-pubs that went on to massive sales
and commercial success. (The former was picked up by Viking/Penguin on the
advice of a astute kiddie lit prof at NYU. As I recall,>>

He also had the help of Ann Landers who mentioned his book in one of her
advice columns... not a shabby deal.
Leslie