[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Self-published best-sellers?
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: Self-published best-sellers?
- From: John Lansingh Bennett <jbennett@LAKELAND.CC.IL.US>
- Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:38:24 -0500
- In-Reply-To: <199905191954.OAA08475@sparcy.lakeland.cc.il.us>
- Message-Id: <199905192236.PAA16296@palimpsest.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
>He also had the help of Ann Landers who mentioned his book in one of her
>advice columns... not a shabby deal.
You're absolutely right. As I recall, Trelease was a sportswriter for a
mid-sized Massachusetts daily when he decided to self-publish, fulfilling
orders from his garage.
Bee Cullinan at NYU saw the book and made an introduction or two;
Viking/Penguin published it; Landers championed it; and the rest is . . .
well . . . history.