Re: REQUEST: Self-published best-sellers?

Edward Tufte's wonderful books on the design of information were
self-published, I believe because he wanted to maintain complete control of
the design and quality of the editions. They include The Visual Display of
Quantitative Information, Envisioning Information, and Visual Explanations,
and are, I believe, considered classics.

Liz Horton