Re: cost of self publishing

Tom,
    I have made a list of webstes and books dealing with publishing and
writing which follows. Several of the publishing sites have info about
printers. I've starred the ones that have the most to do with
self-publishing. I would recommend doing research into the whole process
if you haven't already. Printing is just the tip of the iceberg.
Marketing, sales, distribution- basically how to get the books into the
readers' hands is the big problem. The Self-Publishing Manual by Dan
Poynter is a great place to start. I've been on the outskirts of
publishing for about 5 years and have just started publishing my own
small booklets on making books with children. I've chronicled my
publishing experiences, with commercial publishers and my decision to
publish on my own, on the list before. Best of luck.

in good spirit,
Susan

Writing/ Publishing Websites

American Booksellers Assn.
http://www/bookweb.org/

Bookwire, inside the book business, partners include Publishers Weekly,
Library Journal
http://www.bookwire.com

The Writer’s Resource
http://www.inkspot.com

SPAWN, Small Publishers Artists And Writers Network
http://www.spawn.org

Writer’s Toolbox, Internet Resources for Writers
http://www.geocities/Athens/6346/index.html

Books AtoZ, geared toward production as well editorial, has list of
publishers
http://www.booksatoz.com

*Publisher’s Marketing Assn, association for independent publishers,
present and past newsletters which have helpful articles
http://www.pma-online.org

Children’s Book Council, organization of children’s book publishers,
list of members available with submission info
www.cbcbooks.org

Purple Crayon, by a children’s book editor with lots of good advice
http:www.users.interport.net/~hdu

*SPAN (Small Publishers Association of North America)
http:www.SPANnet.org

*Sensible Solutions, site by author of How to get Happily Published,
info on getting published, self-publishing option, and selling books
http:www.happilypublished.com

*Para Publishing, website of Dan Poynter, author of The Self-Publishing
Manual
www.parapublishing.com

Writing/ Publishing Books

Nonfiction Book Proposals Anybody Can Write: How to get a contract and
an advance before writing your book, Elizabeth Lyon, Hiilsboro, Oregon,
Blue Heron Publishing, Inc., 1995, very thorough plan for writing a
proposal

How to Get Happily Published, Judith Appelbaum, NY, Harper & Row,
describes what to do to get published and what to do after to be happy
about it

Guide to Literary Agents, Cincinnati, OH, Writer’s Digest, published
annually, should be available in reference section of library, costs
about $20.00

*The Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print and Sell Your Own Book,
Dan Poynter, Santa Barbara, CA, Para Publishing, a detailed and thorough
guide to self publishing from beginning to end. Valuable for writers and
aspiring publishers

compiled by Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord, Box 852, Newburyport, MA 1950
sgaylord@seacoast.com