Re: Self-published best-sellers?

I have been following this thread with more than a little interest.

A  project I'm currently involved in is a recreation of Pig Pen Pete by
Elbert Hubbard which will be typeset in hot lead on Monotype, printed
letterpress in an edition of 250, and hand bound (in pigskin, of course). I'm
about halfway through the typesetting phase. If anyone happens to need a
poetry chapbook or other type of book with a limited run and high quality, I
would love to talk to you offline.

The dilemma that I constantly face is that short run and high quality
letterpress tend to result in a book priced in the $40 and up range. By the
time this project is finished, I will probably have invested close to $10,000
in my own time and money. I have been looking for some way to expand the
number and types of projects that I can print in a year.

I am in the final stages of putting together a company that would provide
authors with a means to self publish their work. This would involve taking
manuscripts or typeset digital files and printing perfect bound books on a
digital printing press in quantities as low as 10.

This would result in being able to self publish a book for several hundred
dollars instead of several thousand. Files could be held and printed on
demand as sales warranted.

An interesting variation would involve marketing the books directly to the
independent booksores by being able to actually personalize the cover with
something along the lines of "This reader's copy printed forJohn Doe, XYZ
Booksellers.

Hopefully this post won't be seen as being too crassly commercial, I would
really like some feedback on whether this type of program would be helpful.

Thank you,

Zack Hamric
Two Swallows Press