Re: urban printer's myth

I call my system an "Argo" edition , after Roland Barthes' point about the
ship Argo: after 30-odd years of sailing it's a totally different ship,
except for the name. Likewise, one of the joys of desktop publishing is
that your product improves as you go on. My only regret is that because I
have to have the pages trimmed at a local print shop it's not really
worthwhile to print less than 50 copies at a time.

As for good old-time printing: sure, I miss those chugging AB Dicks, and
the great rainbow patterns, the guys sticking their thumbs full of ink
onto the platen, and so forth...

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Jules Siegel wrote:
> As you complete a
> book you always see things that could be improved or
> amplified.

Paul Werner, New York City
http://pages.nyu.edu/~ptw1
     DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "Vellum Preparation:
History and Technique," and "Dragonsblood and Ashes: the Beta
Version."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.

To subscribe to WOID:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/WOID