Re: cost of self publishing

Dear Carol: Yes, indeed, you can bind up to about 250 loose pages using either
hot melt or cold glue.
Cold glue is more permanent. Hot glue is faster.
The most permanent method of using cold glue is to fan-glue. Get some
bookbinder's PVA glue from a local bookbindery (take a tupperware container
with you). If they won't sell you a dollar's worth, go to a local craft store
and get some Aleen's Tacky Glue.
Clamp the pages of the book between two boards, so that the spine edge of the
pages sticks up above the boards by about four inches. Bend the pages toward
you and brush on a thin coat of glue. Bend the pages away from you and brush on
another coat. Press the book under a paper-wrapped brick for several hours. You
now have a book block
Make a soft cover, using index bristol (file card material) and laminate it on
one side to protect the printing.
Score the cover, on the outside, where you want to fold it.
Put a narrow strip of glue down the front of the book block, about a 1/4 inch
from the spine and parallel to it. Put a similar strip of glue down the back of
the book block.
Insert the bookblock in the cover and press under the brick for three or four
hours.
Trim the book. If you don't have a guillotine paper cutter or a plough, take
the book to a quick printer and ask them to trim the three sides.
That is absolutely all there is to it. The results are professional.
        For hot glue perfect binding, the glue can be applied directly across
the spine of the book with a glue gun or you can put strips of glue on nylon
netting and store them away for future use. In either case, put the strips
about 1/2 inch apart. When you are ready to bind a book, cut off a strip of the
netting and put it between the scored and folded cover and the loose sheets of
the book.
        Make a rough rack from fir plywood (not pine boards) to hold the
book(s)
upright on an electric griddle. Set the griddle at 350 degrees . Put the
book(s) and the rack on the griddle for 10 or 15 seconds (you can see the book
pages descend as the glue melts. Set the book and the rack on a cool surface
and let the glue cool for five minutes.
Trim the book.
That is absolutely all ther is to it. The results are professional.
If you want more details, I would be happy to provide them.
Rupert