John Ballantrae- RE: Oversew

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01BEA5D1.A96B9320

The swell I am specifically referring to is related to the hand-oversew =
technique which is a vastly different technique than French sewing. As =
far as French sewing is concerned, a thinner thread may be advisable =
such as an 18/2 (or size 18- 2-ply) thread. Much of the thread I have =
seen lately seems to run 3-ply which is fine for most intents and =
purposes. When one is working with smaller formats, or if the swell =
simply needs more containment for whatever reason, 18/2 is good. =
University Products sells this size. Also, when making books that will =
be rounded and backed, the paper needs to be folded and then pressed in =
a book press under heavy pressure to release trapped air. This is done =
for a day or so. When the book has been sewn, press it again to release =
more air that was absorbed when sewing. After these procedures you can =
then forward the book as desired. You will notice that the procedures =
minimize the swell of the spine. Should you want the additional info on =
hand-oversew technique send me your snail address and I will send you =
the specs. Hope this helps.

Karen T. Pardue
WhiteRiver Studio

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01BEA5D1.A96B9320

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#c0dcc0>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The swell I am specifically referring =
to is related=20
to the hand-oversew technique which is a vastly different technique than =
French=20
sewing. As far as French sewing is concerned, a thinner thread may be =
advisable=20
such as an 18/2 (or size 18- 2-ply) thread. Much of the thread I have =
seen=20
lately seems to run 3-ply which is fine for most intents and purposes. =
When one=20
is working with smaller formats, or if the swell simply needs more =
containment=20
for whatever reason, 18/2 is good. University Products sells this size. =
Also,=20
when making books that will be rounded and backed, the paper needs to be =
folded=20
and then pressed in a book press under heavy pressure to release trapped =
air.=20
This is done for a day or so. When the book has been sewn, press it =
again to=20
release more air that was absorbed when sewing. After these procedures =
you can=20
then forward the book as desired. You will notice that the procedures =
minimize=20
the swell of the spine. Should you want the additional info on =
hand-oversew=20
technique send me your snail address and I will send you the specs. Hope =
this=20
helps.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Karen T. Pardue</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>WhiteRiver=20
Studio</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0076_01BEA5D1.A96B9320--