Copyright on logos and theft of designs

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BEA786.C0C5D740

I know that this is not a strictly book arts question, but also know =
that there are a lot of arts practitioners out there, involved in =
various forms of artmaking.  We have just started working together and =
are slowly discovering how difficult and untrustworthy clients out there =
can really be...  Perhaps some of you can offer us some advice

Of late we have been doing some corporate design - logos, corporate =
stationery etc -  we'd like to know how a little freelance designer can =
protect herself against people stealing work.

Two instances  :  we designed a logo for a company that was stock =
exchange listed.  The stock exchange agency got hold of it, after it had =
been accepted by the client and "stock exchanged" it, changing the type =
used as well as the position of the logo on the letterhead, which does =
change it considerably.  Do we have a say in this, at all?

And then, we were briefed and presented on a job for the design of =
corporate folders.  After three full scale presentations, the client =
finally decided not to go with us, or with our printer, but are using =
all our ideas and the route which we collectively brainstormed.  We are =
claiming a rejection fee, but do we have any other rights in matters =
like this?

Hope so.  It seems we are learning as we go, but the learning curve does =
seem to be quite violent.

best,
Robyn and Peta
_
R   O   B   Y   N      S   A   S   S   E   N      &      P   E   T   A   =
   K   A   P   L   A   N
for Frodo Originals.  Proprietor : Peta and Robyn Originals cc =20
URL   :   http://www.artslink.co.za/frodo/
email : mephisto@global.co.za=20
P O Box 10 Bruma 2026 South Africa Tel + 27(0)116161019=20
_
DOMINUS PROVIDEBIT :  NON ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM.

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BEA786.C0C5D740

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I know that this is not a strictly =
book arts=20
question, but also know that there are a lot of arts practitioners out =
there,=20
involved in various forms of artmaking.&nbsp; We have just started =
working=20
together and are slowly discovering how difficult and untrustworthy =
clients out=20
there can really be...&nbsp; Perhaps some of you can offer us some=20
advice</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Of late we have been doing some corporate design - =
logos,=20
corporate stationery etc -&nbsp; we'd like to know how a little =
freelance=20
designer can protect herself against people stealing work.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Two instances&nbsp; :&nbsp; we designed a logo for a =
company=20
that was stock exchange listed.&nbsp; The stock exchange agency got hold =
of it,=20
after it had been accepted by the client and &quot;stock exchanged&quot; =
it,=20
changing the type used as well as the position of the logo on the =
letterhead,=20
which does change it considerably.&nbsp; Do we have a say in this, at=20
all?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>And then, we were briefed and presented on a job for =
the=20
design of corporate folders.&nbsp; After three full scale presentations, =
the=20
client finally decided not to go with us, or with our printer, but are =
using all=20
our ideas and the route which we collectively brainstormed.&nbsp; We are =

claiming a rejection fee, but do we have any other rights in matters =
like=20
this?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hope so.&nbsp; It seems we are =
learning as we=20
go, but the learning curve does seem to be quite violent.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Robyn and Peta</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000=20
size=3D2>________________________________________________________________=
__________<BR>R&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
O&nbsp;&nbsp; B&nbsp;&nbsp; Y&nbsp;&nbsp; =
N&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
S&nbsp;&nbsp; A&nbsp;&nbsp; S&nbsp;&nbsp; S&nbsp;&nbsp; E&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
N&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &amp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
P&nbsp;&nbsp; E&nbsp;&nbsp; T&nbsp;&nbsp; =
A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
K&nbsp;&nbsp; A&nbsp;&nbsp; P&nbsp;&nbsp; L&nbsp;&nbsp; A&nbsp;&nbsp; =
N<BR>for=20
Frodo Originals.&nbsp; Proprietor : Peta and Robyn Originals cc&nbsp;=20
<BR>URL&nbsp;&nbsp; :&nbsp;&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://www.artslink.co.za/frodo/">http://www.artslink.co.za/frodo=
/</A><BR>email=20
: <A href=3D"mailto:mephisto@global.co.za">mephisto@global.co.za</A> =
<BR>P O Box=20
10 Bruma 2026 South Africa Tel + 27(0)116161019=20
_____<BR>DOMINUS=20
PROVIDEBIT :&nbsp; NON ILLEGITIMUS =
CARBORUNDUM.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BEA786.C0C5D740--