Bible description

  I checked the Etherington index for sculpted boards and found nothing,
but I think it is a recognized term.  Sometimes it can be hard to tell
whether the design was produced by heat and pressure alone, or whether
the cover material was put over a laminated raised surface.  If the
design is very high above the board surface that may be what you are
dealing with in this case (no pun intended).  I have a 19th C family
Bible with sculpted boards, the board is very thick and the design is
nearly a quarter inch, maybe 3/8ths? above the board surface. The cover
leather is purple, with the raised design in a matte black, lettering in
gilt.  I think it was a very popular color scheme in the post-Civil War
period.
  Dorothy Africa