Re: Copyright on logos and theft of designs

Going back to the original query, the changes made in the
logo after it left the designer's hands are not likely to be
actionable in any way at all. It's the client's property.

Unless there is a written agreement specifying otherwise,
the material in the presentation is covered by the copyright
laws. Any expression is automatically covered by
international copyright law the instant it is set down in
permanent form. Registering the copyright gives you more
ample protection but you can still sue for copyright
infringement even if the work was never registered.

In the absence of a written work for hire agrement, the
copyright belongs to the creator of the work. If you have
the evidence showing that a potential client used your work
without your authorization, this is probably a copyright
infringement for commercial exploitation and you very well
might receive compensation.

Find a lawyer who will take your case and sue them. If you
can't afford the fees, get one who will do it on
contingency. Normally, copyright infringers pay up after the
first letter and never want to go to court. In my experience
it's always been a "misunderstanding."