Mendocino Art Center classes

The Mendocino Art Center is offering two summer classes in the making of
artists' books. There is room for more students in both classes.

I. SU 99 T102 JUNE 7-11
   BOOKS FROM FARAWAY TIMES & PLACES taught by Marlis Killermann
        meets 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday thru Friday
        five-day workshop: Members $250, non-members $275

   This class is a journey into the experimental process of what can be
called a book. Working mainly with natural or recycled materials and a good
deal of improvisation, we'll discover the inherent character of materials,
which leads to their special designs. Get inspired by ancient or exotic
book forms like Burmese paper folding books, Tibetan arrow letters,
medieval girdle books, etc. We'll also talk about how to work
texts/messages into our books. Materials fee.

MARLIS KILLERMANN studied at Johannes-Gutenberg-Schule in Stuttgart,
Germaany, and is presently working as a freelance book designer for
publishing houses. Her emphasis is on unusual, ancient or exotic book forms
and ways of binding and on having fun; turning 'mistakes' into the most
exciting creative solutions. Her work has been shown in Bonn, Mainz,
Frankfurt, Munich, Leipzig, Essen and Horn, Austria.

*
II. SU 99 T115 AUGUST 16-20

    ARTISTS BOOKS, START TO FINISH
    Marylee Bytheriver

        Class meets 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday
        Five-day workshop: Members $250; non-members $275

        In this class we will explore all aspects of artist's books: design,
structure, materials, content and construction. We will learn a variety of
innovative book structures and create our own decorative papers and book
cloth. We will also explore page design through exercises in patterning,
sequence, image/ground relationship, and typographic layout. Later we will
put it all together to create a unique artist's book.

MARYLEE BYTHERIVER is a printmaker and book artist living in Oakland,
California. Her works have been exhibited nationwide, including the
National Museum of Women in the Arts, in Washington, DC. Her limited
edition, handmmade artist's books can be seen in many public collections,
including the National Gallery of Art and the San Francisco Museum of
Modern Art.

NOTE: I took Marylee's class last summer and highly recommend it. Betty Storz.

Registration Information available from:

                        Mendocino Art Center
                        P.O.Box 765, Mendocino, CA  95460
                        1-800/653-3328
                        e-mail:mendoart@mcn.org