Re: Photocopying photos

Thanks again to all those who responded to my earlier plea for help in getting
decent quality photocopies.

Here's what I ended up doing: I scanned in the photos at 300dpi, grayscaling
modern color photos and adding a newspaper descreen (an option in the settings
box on ScanWizard). If I need them to be significantly bigger, I scanned them
in at more than 100%, otherwise I just resized for placement in AdobePagemaker.

Though I experimented with contrast and brightness, I ended up leaving the
photos alone because how it looked on the screen was different from how it
looked printed which I figured would be different from how it would look
copied. Although, for line art I did use Auto Levels (makes the lightest area
white, the darkest black, and spreads the rest on the spectrum between). Works
great.

As for copying, I planned to take the advice of many of you and try different
brands and models of copiers. Unfortunately, on campus we have all Lanier (not
good) copiers and almost all are the same model. The only copying service place
we have around is a very small Mailboxes, Etc. which would have had difficulty
filling our order in the short time frame (no independent local copier services
in the area). So we took a trip to Annapolis to a giant Kinkos to try their
Docutech, as Steve Barton had suggested. I asked on the phone if it wasn't
basically a computer hooked up to a copier. Well yes, basically, was the answer
I received.

Got there and found out things were slightly more complex. First off, he quoted
me the "wrong" price. Second, the Docutech (sp?) was for color coping and cost
significantly more; what I wanted was the b&w Docu40 (sp?). And finally, no,
their Docu40 was not networked (the right question to ask: "Is it networked?").
What they would have to do is print it out, then scan the hard copy into the
Docu machine and then copy. Looked horrible, the print outs came out way too
dark.

We ended up going with a place in New Jersey called Alphagraphics, which had a
networked machine (Not sure what the machine is called; there are others out
there besides Xerox's Docues. A friend of mine recently saw a commercial for
one put out by Canon). I put everything--the PageMaker file, all linked files,
and the fonts used--on a zip disk, and all went smoothly (In fact, they said it
was the smoothest job they'd ever had!). About 14,500 impressions on a 32#
slightly glossy white paper for a thousand dollars. Slightly cheaper I think
than Kinkos.

How's it look? Damn good for a photocopy. Big highlights make people look a
little spooky because they photocopy white, but who's to say these people don't
look spooky in real life. Basically quality-wise they look about the same as
the b&w photos printed on a web press for our college catalog.

So I letterpressed some covers and perfect bound them (any tips on how to get
the cover to lay flat against the spine of the text block? I think if I do this
again I'll bind them differently.)

And the people who commissioned the job are thrilled with how it turned out and
say they're sure it's worth what I'm charging.

Naw, it's worth more ;)

Thanks again!

-jenn

jennifer.lubkin@washcoll.edu