Re: Photocopying photos

Here is the best way I have found to get the covers to lie flat against the
book block of a perfect-bound book..
Make a book block, with end papers bound in. Score and fold the cover so that
there is room for the book block to slide in.
Put a thin strip of PVA parallel to the spine, and 1/4" away from it. Do this
on both the front and the back end paper. Press the book(s) with a brick on top
for an hour or so. Then trim the book(s).
        This method not only gives you flat-lying covers, but it also frees up
the spine and makes the book more likely to open without mousetrapping. It
works like magic.
        If I am doing only two or three books, I just use a squeeze bottle of
PVA to lay down the strip of glue. If I am doing more copies, I use a 1/4" wide
paint-striping tool filled with PVA. This paint striping tool is available from
Howards Art Supplies, 1256 Dual Highway, Hagerstown, MD 21742, 1-800-899-5410,
howarsart@aol.com
Rupert

.At 01:03 PM 6/1/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks again to all those who responded to my earlier plea for help in getting
>decent quality photocopies.
>

>Here's what I ended up doing: I scanned in the photos at 300dpi, grayscaling
>modern color photos and adding a newspaper descreen (an option in the settings
>box on ScanWizard). If I need them to be significantly bigger, I scanned them
>in at more than 100%, otherwise I just resized for placement in
AdobePagemaker.