Perfect binding

Thanks for the tips  -- it just seems like it would be too easy to =
be left with a cover and end papers in your hand and the remaining =
text block fallen to the floor. But I guess that's why a perfect =
binding isn't so perfect.
-jenn lubkin
jennifer.lubkin@washcoll.edu

--- You wrote:
Here is the best way I have found to get the covers to lie flat =
against the
book block of a perfect-bound book..
Make a book block, with end papers bound in. Score and fold the =
cover so that
there is room for the book block to slide in.
Put a thin strip of PVA parallel to the spine, and 1/4" away from =
it. Do this
on both the front and the back end paper. Press the book(s) with a =
brick on top
for an hour or so. Then trim the book(s).
        This method not only gives you flat-lying covers, but it =
also frees up
the spine and makes the book more likely to open without =
mousetrapping. It
works like magic.
        If I am doing only two or three books, I just use a squeeze =
bottle of
PVA to lay down the strip of glue. If I am doing more copies, I use =
a 1/4" wide
paint-striping tool filled with PVA. This paint striping tool is =
available from
Howards Art Supplies, 1256 Dual Highway, Hagerstown, MD 21742, =
1-800-899-5410,
howarsart@aol.com
Rupert

.At 01:03 PM 6/1/1999 -0400, you wrote:

>So I letterpressed some covers and perfect bound them (any tips on =
how to get
>the cover to lay flat against the spine of the text block? I think =
if I do
this
>again I'll bind them differently.)
>
>-jenn