Re: repair advice--spiral bounds

Ah yes, spiral bounds, the librarian's nemesis, for exactly the reason
that they fall apart fast and are labor intensive if not impossible to
repair.

The easiest and probably cheapest thing to do is to buy another copy if
it is still available.

If the holes are set far enough in to give you some margin you can do a
Japanese style side binding.  I have used book cloth on the frayed cover
along the edge when doing that so there is something solid for the sewing
to go through.  Of course, the book won't open as flat as a spiral bound
book, but at least you've kept the information together.  Or you could
perfect bind the pages if the edges aren't too ratty.  Or if you really
love that book you could use Japanese tissue and make signatures out of
all those single pages and then sew them together like a regular book.  I
have never actually done that because it seemed like too much work.

You might also be able to punch new holes and respiral bind after you
have strengthened the edges.  Not though that not all spiral things use
the same size and spacing of holes.  I've tried just redoing one after
fixing the cover, but it didn't work because the machine I got the use of
didn't match the original.

I have tried reinforcing the front edge of new spiral bounds by slipping
thin strips of plastic laminate on the edge inside the spirals...a fiddly
and probably not particular helpful approach.  I wonder if you could slip
a piece of wire on that spine edge margin and somehow tie it through the
holds to attach it?  If the thread or whatever didn't cut the holes
faster than flipping the pages open...

As for making the cover hard, I will mention again my favorite company
for covering paperbacks, Kapco Library Products.  They make several kinds
of laminating film that come in different thicknesses and use a
non-acidic, non-yellowing adhesive.  Their number is 800-791-8965.  The
problem is again that pesky bit on the inside of the spiral.  If you take
the wire clear out you to do it, you might not be able to get it back
in.  I'd say your chances are better if it is plastic rather than wire.

Lots or writing for not very effective solutions.  Does any one have a
better idea?

Joyce Jenkins
Petersburg Public Library
Alaska