Re: repair advice--spiral bounds

Janice,

I sent the following message offline to the poster of the original
question. I said much the same advice as you do, probably not as well.  I
agree with you about Pabco covers. In fact I had our library order some on
your recommendation.

My message to Carrie Valenzuela:

Carrie,

Depending on the width of the gutter, the size of the holes made by the
spiral and whether you want the pages to open to the spine or not, there
are a couple things you can do:

I am assuming the book has a soft cover.

1. Remove the covers; trim the spine of the text block and covers just in
front of the holes made by the spiral. Repair tears or other damage to
pages and covers. Set covers aside, add new text-weight endsheets to the
text-block in front and back, and glue the spine by double-fanning. (There
is much information on double fanning in the archives for November 1998)
Line the back as you would normally, using mull that extends one inch each
side of the spine and attach the covers with a bookcloth spine strip. Book
will open almost to the spine.

2. Paste thin, strong Japanese paper strips over the edges of pages with
damaged holes. Use existing holes about 3/4" apart to sew the textblock and
covers together. Bind the spine with bookcloth. Fastest and cheapest
method, but you will lose the depth of the sewing from the gutter.

3. Trim the spine edges of textblock and covers to remove holes or tabs.
Guard pages into pairs to create signatures that can be folded and sewn and
bound to create the traditional book. This method is by far the most
tedious, but also the strongest and is worth it for a really good book.
Pages open to the center. The original limp cover can be used, or a hard
cover made, reapplying the paper cover with its printed illustrations. For
some reasons, the limp cover may be preferable. (See the Pabco cover
mentioned in the previous post by Joyce Jenkins as a way to reinforce the
limp cover.)

4. The pages could be photocopied on paper large enough to be folded for
signatures, then bound as in method 3. A horrendous job, but I've done it.
And it's not cheap.

5. Find a replacement copy on the internet.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out,

Betty
Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org