Texturing leather

Greetings,  I would like to learn how to create a pebbled texture on
leather to be used for rebacking.  The texture I'm referring to is often
found on late 19th century LARGE books, such as atlases.  The leather I'm
using is sheep.  My best thought was to make some sort of hard  surface
that the wet leather could be hammered upon to impress the texture.  Any
suggestions?  Bob

Bob Ritchie
Sandy Bay Books
1 Harraden Ave.