Re: Texturing leather

Bob,

To texture leather which is already tanned, you need a lot of concentrated
force, which is fine if you are making an impression of a single letter or a
line. When making an all over effect like you wish to do, you need to turn to
unusual means.  I would make/find a rough textured surface that will create the
pebbled look. Perhaps a piece of floor tile or something similar, but in the 1'
X 1' range.  Then using a printmaking press or the device potters use to flatten
out their clay (both involve large wheels which move over a flat bed with lots
of pressure), impress the textured surface into the leather.  Not having
actually done this, you may want to experiment around by trying the leather dry
or damped or very wet and if you can think of a way, heating the textured
surface like you would heat a tool for tooling. The heat might make a blackened
pattern on the leather, though.  Which actually sounds pretty cool.  I think I'm
going to have to play around with this one...

Eric

 Eric Alstrom
 Collections Conservator
 Dartmouth College