Staying square

    Some folks will never have a problem with cut boards being out of
square, but some of us do, and there are probably dozens of ways to
ensure accuracy.
    But I recently had one that wasn't, despite my best efforts to the
contrary.
    I cut these on a board shear as carefully as I could, but missed it
somehow anyway.
    It didn't show up, of course, until the book was bound and title
printed on the face.  Somehow it did not look straight, yet I had used
an absolutely squared guide on the printer-table.  The difference was
not much, but it bothered me.
    Checking with a triangle against the fore-edge of the cover every
one of the four lines of print were square.  But the top edge was just a
shade more than 1/16 higher at the fore-edge than at the spine and that
was enough to put the whole thing out of kilter.  I will probably be
able to mickey-mouse a correction, but it was an unnecessary aggravation
on this particular book - not bound for a customer, fortunately, but for
myself.
    How to avoid this?
    Graph paper!
    A friend gave me a small stack of various types, and a roll of 24"
wide graph paper.  My plan is to stick some to a panel of board and
install a true strip of board along one long edge.  After cutting the
boards, lay them along the guide strip and simply observe the other
three edges in relation to the graph lines adjacent to them.  If one or
more are not square it will be immediately apparent.
    Any relevant thoughts?

Charles Schermerhorn