Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 8 Jun 1999 to 9 Jun 1999

The three times we moved our Chandler & Price machine we took the *whole*
thing apart.

If I remember correctly, the pieces we then hand carries out of the bindery
were:

The wheel (on top to lower the fence)
The fence
The housing for the blade / Heavy!
The table top
The legs/sides, there are two
The arm (to lower the blade) and attached to this are the cross bars
holding the two legs/sides together
The couter weight (AKA: The Little Bastard)
And a few other parts.

Taking the machine apart helped a lot in regards to not only moving it, but
also learning exactly how it works. I have no trouble servicing it myself
after rebuilding it three times.

All told it takes about an hour to take apart and two or more to put back
together.

Regards!

Jason

>I don't know about all guillotines but mine (an old Reliance, 26 1/2
>inch) has a couple of bolts on each side that allows for the bed to be
>dropped out thus greatly reducing the weight.  Easily then moved by a
>couple of stout friends.
>
>~ Chad
>
>"Steven D. Hales" wrote:
>>
>> When I moved my guillotine, I hired a tow truck. More precisely, a
>> roll-back truck. The guillotine is mounted on skids. Pipes were placed
>> under the skids so it would roll, and then it was winched into the
>> rollback. Cost $40.
>>
>> Steve

                 r a g  &  b o n e  b i n d e r y

                 web:  http://www.ragandbone.com
                 fax:  401 455 3480
               voice:  401 455 3680
                mail:  one allens avenue
                       providence, rhode island 02903

                info:  handbound books, albums, journals,
                       guestbooks, clamshell boxes and more.
                       visit our web site to order on-line.

                       see you there!