Re: polyester vs. mylar question

Mylar is Dupont's tradename for polyester. The Mylar type D is free from
any surface coatings and is the one preferred by conservators... Depending
on application, those coatings may be needed however to allow printing to
stick, or to impart anti-static features. Mylar in it's pure form is
chemically inert, ie. it won't react with anything or cause damage to
anything. The same holds true for polypropylene and polyethylene. Acid-free
has nothing to do with it, or with almost all plastic materials. It's the
plasticizers you have to worry about. They're the ones that give plastics
their various soft or flexible properties. There are also the solvents in
tapes... A store should be able to tell you what kind of polyester it is
selling. If they use Mylar it's Dupont, but if you're really picky ask what
type.

Mylar will not damage inkjet printing or lithographs. I would be leary
about using it with pastels & charcoals, but only becuase of the static
which can lift the pigment off the paper. Damage to inkjet is most likely
caused by exposure to light. Inkjet is horrendous in terms of light
stability, especially any non-black colors though there are some good ones
out there.

If you're going to make your own dustjackets, look for a 1.5-2mil mylar. If
you're putting it around a leather binding (not a bad idea especially if
it's nicely tooled...) and the leather has red rot, use Cellugel or Klucel
G in alcohol. Both are the same thing. The Cellugel is simply premade and
is sold by Gaylord and University Products. If inserting an original book
jacket cover don't try to glue it down or use tapes to hold the mylar in
place...

At 04:48 AM 6/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Recently in an art supply store I saw a photo album the label
>of which said it was of archival quality, and, that the
>windows were made of polyester.  Also, the same store sold
>rolls of what looked like a cellophane, and which was marked
>"polyester".
>        Would that polyester therefore be harmless to paper,
>and acid-free, or, does it depend on which polyester, and how
>it is made?  Could I thus use polyester to make "folders" or
>protective wrappers for book dust jackets?   Some of these
>dust jackets are from theforties and  fifties, from European
>books, and several are actually lithographs.
>         Is mylar acceptable in such cases, or, would mylar
>damage the dust jackets as  a member of this list recently
>said it
>fades or erases inkjet printing.  Is mylar acceptable for
>ordinary printed book jackets but not for those which are
>authentic lithographs? Or for both?
>         I'm really confused about all these materials, and
>would appreciate either a run=down or a reference to a site
>which explains it.
>       Thanks in advance,    Olivia

<!----  Begin PDV Signature File  ---->
Peter Verheyen, Preservation & Access Libn.
Department of Special Collections, Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244
315.443.9937
<mailto:pdverhey@library.syr.edu
 <http://libwww.syr.edu/information/spcollections/>