Re: polyester vs. mylar question

I think many would agree that this is really somewhat of a minor issue =
unless the book is going to be left for long term storage in a =
questionable place. There is an enormous price difference between =
archival and regular clear dj covers.=20

If you keep a dj wrapped any clear protector fresh, keep the item out of =
sun and always temp controlled I don't see any trouble. Under those =
circumstances the damage is reduced to a bare minimum. There are many =
other ways to ruin a book than by using one dj cover over another. My =
main issue with the clear dj covers is protection for the dj (ie. =
rubbing, chipping or tearing.)=20

I would never use any clear plastic of any quality on an original =
lithographed cover. There you are talking about art and as such should =
not be treated as a regular offset coated dj. If you have something =
really special like a lithographed cover I wouldn't put that in a =
plastic dj cover of any sort because not knowing the type of ink used, =
that type of wrap in plastic could have serious side effects. In this =
case, I would rather see a cover made out of glassine, and the item put =
into an acid-free box.

Best,
James

thegentry.com