[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Brain tanned hides
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: Brain tanned hides
- From: Vernon Sims <VSims46955@AOL.COM>
- Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:53:17 EDT
- Message-Id: <199906182254.PAA17900@palimpsest.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Leather tanned by the brains of the animal from which the skin came, in
particular deer, was a process utilized by Native Americans, maybe still is.
It softens and makes the final hide pliable. There are other steps involved
in the process, but the rubbing the brain matter into the hide is a major
step in the process. Suggest you check the library.