Re: apprenticeships

Carrie,

I offer apprenticeships here at Deep Wood Press for the summer months
and this is how I have made arrangements in the past.  Only one
apprentice at a time, though it is a "live in" situation,  their is a
small loft space in the studio for residency and one meal a day is
included.  Teaching occurs with having assistance with whatever may be
going on in the studio at the time.  For example, I am currently working
on a special deluxe edition of a book "Grand Rapids Art Metalwork, 1902
- 1918", an edition of 250 books full case bound with beveled boards
utilizing cover papers from the University of Iowa and doublures from
Twinrocker.  My current assistant and I have been binding 14 or 16 of
these books a week leaving plenty of time to work on other projects as
well.  In the meantime I am also working on setting type and wood
engravings for a short story by Judith Minty (author of The Yellow Dog
Journals) and am also printing fun things for the APA (Amalgated
Printers Association), doing some job work for local environmental
groups and binding books from my earlier edditions as needed.

The studio consists of bindery and press room.  I produce limited
edition letterpress books primarily illumined with my wood ingravings or
intaglio work, so in addition to several letterpress's I also have an
intaglio press.  I have required that my apprentice produce a book of
their own during their stay which varies from 2 to 4 months.  The length
of the day in the studio varies, sometimes there is a much to do and
it's all day and at other times I'd just rather be working in my garden
or fishing so it is a pretty flexible schedule.  If there is something
in particlular an apprentice would like to learn it is generaly worked
into the day(s)  In addition, I teach workshops in bookbinding primarily
around Michigan which takes me away from the studio at times,
apprentices are often encouraged to come along as the art of teaching is
sometimes as valuable to learn as the art of bookbinding.

Hope this answers some of the questions you have, I'm sure that others
all do things differently and have differing focuses.  If binding,
restoration and repair are what you are after inquire to those sources
or if you want a broader range of experiance try a fine press such as
mine.  Apprenticeships are a excellent way (for both teachers and
students) to further your knowledge in a practical setting and offers
another valuable aspect not to be forgotten, by working with someone in
the field you learn the business of art.  An aspect often neglected in schools.

Good Luck,

~ Chad Pastotnik

Deep Wood Press
P.O. Box 726