Re: red-rot contamination ?

> >Besides, red rot is contagious to other adjacent
> >leather, as I understand...
>
> Do you have any source-information on this statement ?
>
> Cor Knops.

I remember reading once long ago that red rot might be or was
contagious, but alas I don't remember where I read it.  I've searched
through my own library for the source without finding it.  Red rot is
actually a process of oxidation relating to acidity, whether from
tannage or local pollution.  I have several sources which describe
research into the mechanics of red rot, but none of them describe any
kind of contagion.  My error...sorry.

Carol