Re: So, what then is "glassine" really?

I have some 8 1/2" x 11" glassine that I bought from Light Impressions
several years ago to replace the wrinkled, torn interleaving between
photos, etc., in a book I was repairing. Later, I stopped using it after I
noticed that the original glassine(?) had not prevented acid migration in
other old books in which it had been used. The images were apparent on the
following text pages, usually as white spaces surrounded by yellowish-brown
foxing. The photographs were usually printed on coated paper, of course,
which was probably acidic to begin with.

The glassine now advertised in the Light Impressions catalog is neutral PH
and nonbuffered. "We do not recommend glassine for photographic storage."

The Gaylord Archival catalog, p. 68, has an informative tip on the care of
negatives and prints and when to use buffered or unbuffered materials. "The
ANSI Standard for color storage is non-buffered material. The ANSI Standard
for black and white storage is buffered material."

I have no idea whether the interleaving in those old books was buffered or
not, but, given the age, pre-1850, I would assume not.

Perhaps Peter Verheyven can explain more about the use of glassine as
interleaving in books.

Betty

Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org