Re: Newbie

Jane:

Since you seem to be in the market for a "good color printer", I would
strongly recommend you go back and read the list postings of the past two
months. (I, myself, don't know how to do that, but...). There was an
excellent series of Q&A from Newbies and pros alike on just that subject.
The consensus, at least among the experienced types, seemed to be "go with
an Epson printer". Several contrasted the Epson line with HP and found Epson
significantly better. One writer even declared HP "a piece of junk". My wife
(the Book Artist in this family) and I (a self-employed architect) used an
original Epson Stylus Color for nearly four years with excellent results,
especially at the finer settings on the higher quality Epson papers. We
never used anything but Epson inks or papers, which are generally available
at discount at such as Staples, Office Max, CompUSA, etc.

The machine finally gave up the ghost, mechanically, just before we sprang
for a new Epson Stylus Photo 1200. The new machine is yielding superb
output, and is much faster to boot. This printer is capable of up to 1440
dpi resolution; six-colors of ink; and takes paper sizes all the way up to
13"x19", or even "banner" paper, 13"x44".

I can't say we've had personal experience with any but the Epson line, but
I've seen enough output from other manufacturers and spoken to enough
service bureau staff to have concluded no-one matches Epson for visual
quality of color output. I cannot speak for other factors such as ink
prices, durability, etc., but we have never had any trouble with an Epson
product, which is a lot more than I can say of any other hardware or
software product I've ever used in 19 years of professional computer use.

There was also an informative series of comments and Q&A around the same
time period on ink and papers "archivability", plus a bit on scanners, too.
I don't think the permanence issue was conclusive, but there certainly are
several companies working on it in the ink-jet field. We'll look forward to
more serious information on this subject, for it is extremely important to
the artist, as "computer" art becomes more acceptable to serious patrons and
other collectors, galleries, and museums.

Further apropos the Epson Photo 1200, it has become a smash hit in the
market. Epson' MSRP is $499.95, which is what CompUSA charges for it. I
found 20 or more dealers on the Web, with prices ranging from $408. to the
MSRP, but every one of them was out of stock! We ended up paying full price
from CompUSA just because we needed it immediately.

Art Miller
millerja@ismi.net