Printers, etc. (was Newbie)

A guy who came yesterday to repair my 10 year-old Canon copier had this to
say about new printers, all-in-one machines:

My Canon has never needed a service call until now.  It is big (70 lbs)
but capably handles all of the junk I put through it to print on.  This
inclues silver mylar film, Japanese "rain paper" and very thick handmade
paper.  I also use a 10 year old HP Laser Jet III as my main printer.  It
has never need a service call.  Suffice it to say, these machines (plus an
old thermal fax, a scanner, and an Epson color ink jet) take up a lot of
space.  I said that I had thought about getting an all in one machine like
the Xerox discussed on this list last week.

His comment was that the machines are much more cheaply made today and do
not have the durability of old machines.  While, as a repairman, he has a
vested interest in rescuing the aged, I think that there is something to
be said for his comment.  We have two Laser Jet III machines in our office
and they crank out hundreds of pages a week and rarely need service.  Our
newer HP 4 and 5 machines are much more likely to malfunction.

TO MY POINT (after the long introduction):  The HP machines were described
as "crap".  I suggest that, mechanically, almost all of the printers out
there today are not well made.  I think that the critical elements in
printer choice include:
        1) Image quality
        2) Per image cost
        3) Ink stability
        4) Variety of media that can be printed on.

The way in which these balance out must be individually determined.  For
example, you can refill HP ink cartridges but cannot do so for the Epson
making your per print cost higher on the Epson.

The archived discussion on these issues is very helpful.  I just think
that we all need to realize that there is no single, correct answer to the
question of "what output device?"

R*

Department of Psychology
UMBC