question from a lurker

Dear List --

First of all, Happy Birthday. I always start my day by reading the
digest, knowing that nothing else is going to be as pleasant!

Now my question is, what do you call people who make
books?
 I've mentioned the list to people who know
nothing about the book arts, and I want to say
"book makers" because there's way more to this than
just binding. But I don't want to convey "bookies",
or commercial binders, or those people who will rebind
individual books, but not very nicely.

Does "book artist" convey the right meaning??
Or does it sound too airy-fairy?

Waiting to hear,

Susan Fatemi
susanf@peer.berkeley.edu