Re: Printers, etc. (and a new book)

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Nebel <larryhn@ALCO.COM>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Date: Friday, June 25, 1999 12:31 AM
Subject: Re: Printers, etc. (and a new book)

>Interesting  --  1.8 cents for toner, about 1 cent for
paper so each double sided page runs about 4.6 cents  --
plus the cost of purchasing the printer, maintenance on the
printer and the time it takes to run (1/2 hour per book)  --
your local copy shop will probably run them for you for not
much more actual cost (less once you take your time into
account)

The issue isn't cost but quality. A laser-printed book is
much more beautiful than the best copier and far cleaner
than a conventionally printed book. In my case, each book is
also individual, as I don't make editions, but single copies
of an evolving work. This is really a very revolutionary
approach to the book, and one that could not exist without
the combination of the computer and the laser printer,
except for the individually handwritten book.

I've done about ten handwritten books in my entire life.
I'll never sell them. They are for my children. By
handwritten book, I mean books that I have created in my own
handwriting. Each one is a spontaneous work of art. I don't
rewrite anything. I just begin on page one and keep on going
until I get to about ten pages before the last. I don't know
why, but I feel that a book shouldn't end but should trail
off into white space or blue lines.

It's surprising how much of the book's feeling and meaning
is conveyed by the changes in my handwriting as I go along.

I have one book -- my masterpiece, really -- in which I
wrote a few pages while absolutely ossified on alcohol. I
talk about being drunk and my handwriting wanders all over
the page and I make jokes about my inability to write a
straight line. This all comes after page after page of
uptight formal italic chisel point handwriting, so it's a
hysterically funny contrast.

The book itself is a folio-sized journal made for my Hans
Schuberth Sr. of San Francisco, placket bound bound in
padded buckram with Havana goat back and corners. It's
called "Minutes" -- as in the minutes of the meeting. Only
it looks like the Minutes of THE MEETING, an event that
takes place in Cosmic Consciousness, it's so imposing. Hans
Schuberth was the greatest of the great. It makes me weep to
think that i was actually in his presence, let alone have
this journal that he made for me. Open this awesome --indeed
Biblical -- tome and you get the insane ravings of Jules
Siegel.

I did make 350 offset-printed interpretations of one of my
handwritten books, Memoir, and I am now offering photocopies
of another, A Modern  Romance. The copies are copies,
however, not original works of art. The main factor in the
value of my laser-printed works, for me, is that each one is
an original work of art, yet I can produce more than one
every four or five years. I plan to make facsimiles of the
handwritten books and bind them by hand, but they will
always still be copies.

"Freedom of the press belongs to the man who owns one." --
A. J. Liebling. If you've never worked for a publisher, you
can never understand what that truly means. A laser printer
is a desktop printing press. I think about that every once
in a while and chuckle to myself. I guess I will always be
crazy, but now I'm a crazy artist instead of a crazy writer.
Makes a big difference, believe me.

--
Jules Siegel Apdo 1764 Cancun Q. Roo 77501
http://bookarts.webjump.com