clothing books

Dear Book Friends,
I have been away, and sign on and off the list-coming home I saw Lilla
from Saltwinds
speak about my clothing books and process.

I have been making books from clothing since about 1992. To stiffen the
garment, I use very thin acrylic medium solution, (like 12 parts water to
1 part medium)
and put that solution into a plant sprayer and build up many layers. I
use acrylic paint on top of that and frequently use many thin layers of
paint to get the surfaces I am  trying to get. This gives me the option
of making the clothing more
pliable, (or if I want more rigid) and in the case of texture, such as
lace, I can retain that quality.

I make patterns of the shapes of the pieces of the frozen clothing. Then
I cut the boards to find the piece (yes, by hand, and it's not a fun
time)
and attach the clothing to make the cover.

I have never used the fabric hardening media that others mentioned, but I
am sure it is worth exploring. Be aware that many craft stores sell
"special" media that are more cheaply gotten at art supply stores
although I have no idea if those stiffening agents fall into that
category. There is a product I got at a craft store called "picture this"
for transfering photos on to fabric. It was a very small bottle for 3 plus
dollars or so. When I got it home and opened it I thought "Gee, this
smells like acrylic paint" Well sure enuf, it was just white acrylic
paint, for which I extremely overpaid.

For those not familiar with my work, I have a site on colophon page with
examples.

the address is
www.colophon.com/gallery/mschaer

I hope this is helpful-if there are any other questions-dont hesitate to
ask...

Regards,

Miriam Schaer